Chapter 135~!

Only when I collapsed into bed that night did I feel like I was my own person again.

Really, it was a great feeling to be back in my own bed once more, after three months of...

Noooo... It came back!

Sometimes it's impossible to run away from what's haunting you.

Matthew came in and saw me holding my head while I was curled up in a little ball, and he reacted quickly. "Alice? Are you alright? Does your head hurt?"

"Yes," I admitted with a wobbly voice. "I..."

The edge of the bed sank down and I felt his hand fall gently on my shoulder. "Yes?"

"There's... something I-I didn't... tell you," I barely managed to say. "But you're going... to h-hate me for it...!"

"And we both know that isn't true," Matthew pointed out rationally. "You can tell me anything."

My face buried into the pillow and I fought back tears for a minute. Then, "I... did something bad."

"Okay... Can you tell me what it is you did?"

I didn't answer. What was I going to say? How could I tell him? To be honest, I wasn't sure if I could. How would he take it? Would he be crushed? Yes, most likely.

'I have to tell him! And if I don't, nothing good is going to come of that. Really, I just have to tell him. I have to blurt it out. He loves me. He loves me. And I love him, too.'

'I just... have to tell him.'

"When... When I was in that other world... I..." And my voice broke.

"Yes? What did you do in that other world?" Matthew prompted.

"I... slept... with Gil," I whispered.

Of course, he had to have super hearing. I didn't have to repeat myself, which I suppose wasn't that bad, but still. The bedroom was dead silent. "Mattie?"

I sat up and dared to look at him. He... He didn't look so good.

"You slept with him?" he asked almost robotically. Was he in shock?

Oh no, I knew this was going to happen! He wasn't going to take this well at all!

"I didn't... I didn't remember anything about my real life, though!" I added on really quickly. "I mean, I feel so terrible about it, you have no idea!"

"Uh, yeah, yeah," he said numbly, patting my hand without looking me in the eye. "I'm just going to... go think about stuff for a bit, okay? Okay."

And he stood up. And walked out the bedroom door. Just like that.

I almost broke down in tears.

~

Canada's POV~

'I should have seen this coming...

But I can't blame her! She had no memory, and she was convinced that she was Carlea all this time.

Still... I feel as though something should have stopped her. Alice loves me, and shouldn't something have felt wrong about sleeping with someone else?'

My head was in my hands as I fell into the couch and let out a huge, depressed sigh. 'Am I overreacting? It's not like I can say she's my first... And she knows that. God... Am I an idiot for leaving the room like I did?'

"Maple..."

"Hey, strange person," Kumadandelion said as he came up to me and climbed into my lap. I helped him sit down and leaned back with my arms around him. "What's bothering you?"