Chapter 131~!

Two and a half weeks since the Hell fiasco~

Omniscient POV~

America groaned as he sank into a chair and put his elbows on the table and his head in his hands. His mind was so full, so cramped and pained, especially since that run-in with Confederacy and Union. A portal had been left open, apparently, and they'd escaped from the past. But how in the world did he end up running into them?

"Just rotten luck," America concluded with a sigh. 'Why does my head hurt so much...?'

"Hello, Doctor!"

His head shot up and he stared at the owner of that voice. "Huh?"

It was this dimension's version of Alice! She wore a uniform that loosely resembled a French maid, but in a tasteful way that didn't allure to one of the more popular uses for a maid costume. Hint, hint...

But her hair was incredibly short, chopped off into a pixie cut. Still, she looked almost exactly the way Alfred remembered her, even with the change in hairstyle.

"Do you remember me, Doctor Jones?" she asked brightly, a pad and pen in her hands. She was a waitress here! That was promising. "It's Carlea Jones."

"Carlea?" America repeated, but then caught on. "Oh, oh, yeah! Hi, Carlea! How are you?"

'OH. MY. GOD. I think I just found her! HERO TIME!'

"I'm really good," she replied, all smiles. "Can I get you anything?"

"Uh, just a coffee, thanks. With three sugars," America said, and she nodded before scurrying away to fill his order.

He glanced at his wrist and the leather band wrapped around there. He could go back now and tell Kadi he thought he had found Alice... But it would be better if he made extra sure this was his sister.

'She called me "Doctor"... A Doctor Who reference! That'll do it! And I'll see if she responds to the name Alice, too' Alfred decided with a grin.

"Carlea" returned less than five minutes later and placed the cup of coffee down in front of him. "I've been doing pretty well with recovering bits of my memories," she informed him happily.

"That's great!" Alfred said, stirring in his sugars and taking a sip. It was good coffee, to say the least. "Y'know, you startled me a little when you called me "Doctor". I thought I should look down to see if I was wearing a bowtie."

"Because bowties are cool?" she answered readily with a laugh. "I didn't know you liked Doctor Who!"

'That's one thing confirmed. Now I just need to see if she responds to her actual name.'

Carlea turned away to go offer her services at another table, but Alfred called out "Alice!" and watched for her reaction. She stiffened and looked back at him, raising an eyebrow.

"What was that?"

"Sorry, I was calling to someone across the street," Alfred fibbed quickly. "Turns out it wasn't her."

"Ah, okay then." Alice Carlea Jones turned back to her duties, and her older brother smiled satisfactorily.

'I knew it! Mattie's gonna be so stoked!' he cheered in his head as he stood up and left some cash on the table to pay for the coffee he barely drank. When Alice, thinking she was still Carlea, turned, she saw an empty chair and a few bills next to the abandoned drink, and frowned a bit.

'He left? Without finishing his coffee? How weird...'

~~

"I am such a freakin' HERO!" America crowed at the top of his lungs as he nearly danced through the portal and into the plain white hallway of Kadi's limitless mansion. "Dudes! Guys, guys! You've gotta come over here right now!"