Chapter 116~!

"Fratello?" North Italy asked as he poked his head through the doorway of his older brother's bedroom.

Romano looked at Italy by turning his head and glancing over his shoulder. The older of the two was sitting on his bed, looking a bit tired after the long day's work of running a country. "Sì? What is it, Veneziano?"

"I-a was wondering if you wanted to help-a me search a dimension or two tomorrow," Italy replied while stepping fully into the room and sitting on the edge of the large bed. "It was kind of fun doing it with Germany. I'm sure you'd like to do it, too! And-a we could be like a team, like Mario and-a Luigi!"

Romano sighed, looking down at his hands almost morosely. "You-a know I can't go into that house anymore, fratello," he replied grimly.

Italy's forever-smiling face fell, the hopeful grin temporarily dropping away. "O-Oh... Sì, I-a remember now..."

"It's-a not like I don't-a care about Alice," Romano added, his voice losing that angry tone that almost always seemed present.

Italy's hand found his brother's resting on the bed, and held it. "Sì, I know. I just forgot, that's-a all."

The younger asked for forgiveness; the older replied with, "Don't apologize, idiota."

Something had happened not long ago. Something scary. Terrifying, even. And it made the two brothers realize that their time together could very well be limited, before...

~~

Alice's POV~

For my third day at this job, things had gone smoothly! I met a lot of people I'd known before and got to know them through idle chatter as I still performed my duties around the café. I had fun, and a lot of it! Little things were starting to come back to me, even.

Who ever said amnesia was so terrible that victims of it couldn't function? Lies. I was doing just fine, thank you very much!

Then, too soon, it was closing time. I was changing out of my uniform in the back when I heard the bell above the shop's front door jingle merrily. When I stepped out of the back room to see what was happening, a young woman was sitting at the counter and waiting patiently, her legs swinging back and forth.

This lady looked around my age, maybe a little older. Her hair was long, the same shade of brown as dark chocolate, and a little unkempt, like the concept of regularly running a brush through her hair was foreign.  

"Uhm, excuse me," I said as I walked up to her calmly. "I'm sorry, but we're closed for the evening. Would you mind coming back tomorrow?"

She turned her gaze-- dark forest green --on me and raised an eyebrow. Something about her face, her eyes, struck a chord in me deep down. Did I know her? She certainly looked familiar...

"Carlea?" she asked. Yes, her voice has the same effect on me that her eyes had.

"Sera, you're here!" Francis said brightly from the doorway to the back. He walked in quickly and went straight up to the woman, Sera as her name apparently was, kissing her cheek in greeting. "You're lucid, I see. That's wonderful!"

"Hi, Francis," she replied, managing a weak smile. She looked tired, very run down. Why, I wonder?

She sent me a glance and Francis caught what was going on in an instant. "Ah! Sorry, I completely forgot. Carlea, this is my younger sister, Sera. I know you don't remember this, but you two are friends."

"Oh?" I said, raising an eyebrow before lowering it and smiling at Sera. "Sorry, I should have realized it sooner. You seemed so familiar when I saw you."