Chapter 157~!

"Do you have any idea why we're here?" Matthew asked me, his fingers laced together with the fingers of my right hand. I really, really, really needed him there with me right then.

When the sea falls from the shore

As the light sinks low will I see you anymore?

As the rain falls from the sky

Can I bring you back from a distant lullaby?

Tell me your vision

Our story begun

Two lights are rising

And burning as one...

We stood in front of the gate that protected the path right up to Kadi's interdimensional floating house. This, I was sure, was where my battle would take place.

Could he feel that I was shaking with fear? Probably. How could he miss it?

"I think so," I replied, pushing on the gate with a quivering palm. My hand emitted a dark blue light and unlocked the gate after it had registered my identity. "Come on."

No, no, that's not what I wanted to say. I wanted to say "Let's get out of here and never return!"

Why couldn't I say what I wanted? But I already knew the answer to that...

In the deep blue of the night 

Shine the millions of stars and my spirit burning bright

Spinning on, into the sun, flying higher 

Now my journey's begun!...

It was because deep inside, this is what I knew I had to do. If I didn't do this, I couldn't live with myself, or with the consequences.

Hell, I literally wouldn't live. This was basically my only chance to live through the future, even if it was by a slim chance.

Maybe, because I'm not human, I would have a better chance of winning? Kadi had told me that humans had always been the Vindicator, and that this was the first time a country had been bestowed with that title.

Though I didn't know it, Matthew was looking at me curiously right then, as if he suspected something was amiss. His hand in mine squeezed reassuringly, and I squeezed back without looking as we climbed the front porch steps and went inside without knocking or ringing the doorbell.

It was time.

~

"I'm... glad you're all here." Kadi was standing in front of a small-ish crowd of nations and had her hands clasped in front of her. "Sorry for the mystery, but this is important."

"What's going on?" I heard Rayn ask from her place next to Alfred, whose arms were casually crossed.

"It's really complicated, but now I can tell you all. I'm allowed to," Kadi answered. She then launched into a tale I'd already heard, a tale about the Darkness and the Light eternally battling in the backdrop of reality, and how there was a figure called 'the Scribe.' I tuned some of it out and curled into Matthew's side; his arm around my shoulders brought a minute smile to my face.

"So... The Scribe has a set life cycle," was what brought me back to paying attention to Kadi. "And because I'm the Scribe, that means I only live so long."

"Is... Is that why your hair has turned white?" Arthur blurted, flabbergasted.

"Silver," she corrected him. "Yes, that's why I'm silver-haired. My time is up."