Chapter 4: Ball

Please share and comment. Enjoy the chapter. 😊

-------------------------------------------

(Leo's POV)

She caught my eye at the precinct. Damn was all I had to say about her. She was a little fighter. Nobody had kneed Wren in the groin before but she did, which intrigued me even more.

Following her to that clinic wasn't my best move either. After seeing where she worked, I left to get some of my own work done. I knew I needed to talk to her, but work comes first.

I came back to the clinic a few hours later after I got my work done. Hoping she was still here, I exited my vehicle and walked in.

I immediately spotted her and was relieved. She looked tired and worn out. But that didn't matter. After my little chat with the girl, she intrigued me even more. This girl was something. Intriguingly feisty. I promised to not touch her and I keep my promises, but she was fantastically alluring.

I sat at my recliner staring at the small chandelier that was holding onto the tall white ceiling when a knock sounded at the door and disturbed my daze.

"Come in."

"Boss," said Mike, one of my most trusted men and right hand. "I looked over all the charts, but it doesn't add up. Someone tampered with the money."

"How short are we?" I asked, pinching the bridge of my nose. Someone was going to die today. I hated rats and disloyal people.

"Ten million," he replied. "And that money laundering took place in France."

Ten million was like ten dollars to me, but someone taking that away without my permission and without me knowing infuriated me. "Find out who that was and when you do, bring him to me. I'll do it myself. I want to see the fear in his eyes," I growled. Nobody crossed me and got away with it.

"Okay boss," he said and turned to leave.

"Hold up," I stopped him in his tracks. "How many times do I have to tell you not to call me boss? We are childhood best friends, Mike. Leo will suffice."

"Leo, man," he began his explanation. "You scare me. Like a lot. One wrong move and I'll be dead."

"Well that's how I keep people in line."

"Okay, Leo. Whatever you say."

"Wait. Did you find out about the girl?" I held him back again.

"Oh yeah. Almost forgot about that even though I shouldn't because she's the first girl you've wanted me to look into in years." He stroked his chin, pondering deeply. "Gets me thinking. It was about time after what happened two years ago."

"Shut up!" I shouted, furious at him to even talk about what happened back then. "Just tell me what you found out."

"Okay. Arie Noelle. Just turned twenty-one. She lives in Queens with her Aunt who is thirty-one and her twin brother. She lost her parents about ten years ago and was raped on her birthday as we all overheard her. Tragic."

          "What's the name of the guy who raped her?" I asked curiously, leaning back into the recliner.

          "I checked the police record and there's nothing there about her rape. It's like they never put it in or perhaps they are trying to protect the man who did this hideous deed." This was nothing new. The cops were corrupted without a doubt. Finding a decent one was almost impossible, but it worked for me because most lived on my scraps and did as I said like good puppets.