Chapter 8: Calm Before The Storm

Please comment, share, and enjoy!

-------------------------------------------

          "Well, look at you," Sabrina's voice ruptured through my peaceful sanctuary as she put a strand of her black hair behind her ear. "Looking all cheerful today."

          "Yeah, I feel better," I flashed a wide smile.

          "What's the occasion?" She asked curiously. "I need to know every single detail from how you met him to how yo..."

          "Stop!" I yelled. "Nothing of that sort happened. I just feel a little happy. That's all. Can't a girl be happy for once?"

          "There has to be a reason. Hold up," she said, checking her phone. "I see the reason. Your shift ends in ten minutes. Oh wait, nine now."

          "About time. It feels like I've been here forever." Sarcasm beautifully rolled off my tongue like a river.

          "You can leave now if you want to. I feel generous since you're graduating in a week. And you can have the rest of the week off and the week after graduation too. Consider it a graduation present."

          "Are you sure?" I asked in bafflement. "It's 2 weeks?"

          "I'm sure and I can handle everything. You worry too much. Go have fun before I change my mind."

          "You're the best," I squealed in elation before hugging the gracious woman and pecking her red cheek quickly. "Thank you."

          "No problem. Now leave!"

          "Aye Aye, captain," I saluted her compelling us both to laugh. Gathering all my belongings, I left the clinic after saying goodbye to Sabrina.

          It had been more than two weeks since the misfortunate events took place. I hadn't seen or heard from Leo since then which was good. Everything had been smooth. Surprisingly, Officer Henderson didn't contact me either. He should have updated me about where the case was going and if they found Astor but I got nothing, so I decided to call him instead. He told me that they were doing the best they can and said something about me dropping the case which was extremely ridiculous. The corruption and the tone of his voice made it quite clear that he wasn't taking me seriously, so I blew up and told I'm off. I'm not dropping the case, not today, not ever.

          I also took Aunt Wendy's advice and consulted a therapist. In the last two weeks, I made ten trips there already. The first day, I had a grouchy old man as my therapist but the next visit I was assigned Dr. Ray Marino, a handsome young man who was extremely easy to talk to. I opened up like a book to him. I told him everything that had happened. Including the things I didn't tell Aunt Wendy and he helped me cope with it. I felt better going there and always looked forward to the visits.

          I knew two weeks weren't long enough, but everything was slowly getting back to normal. I still had nightmares but they simmered down a little and weren't as... horrendous. It felt so good and peaceful. Almost like the calm before the storm and I wished there wasn't any storm rushing my way. I couldn't deal with it.

          Arriving home, I bolted towards the kitchen to find Aunt Wendy, but surprisingly she wasn't there. It was her day off so she should've been in the kitchen as usual. It was a pleasant change.

          I skipped up the steps to her room only to find her adorning herself in a beautiful blue strapless dress, putting on a diamond necklace that she never took out.