Chapter 9: The Storm

(Leo's POV)

          Why did I kiss her? There was all that yelling and then I just kissed her cheek. Why? Her kind eyes full of anger and anguish drew me in like a Siren, however, I had to stay away. She was too good for me and my games. I couldn't feel for her. Been there, done that, and it didn't end quite well if I remember rather vividly.

          The therapy seemed to be helping her. She had been talking about all her feelings from what I heard. She was also scared of me, calling me the big bad wolf. I chuckled to myself at that silly label and the thought of her one day realizing that I wasn't a big bad wolf, but a vicious lion. Yet, I found myself wanting to take the fear of me away from her and it was strange considering I loved the smell of fear that people perspired upon my name and the things I could singlehandedly do.

   The last time I saw her, she was a shattered glass walking on her own piercing shards. Seeing her go through that hurt me a little for some reason. I understood why she didn't want to see me today and I don't blame her. After what Wren did to her, her behavior towards me was perfectly justified.

          It had been ten minutes since I got into my car. All I had to do was roar the engine to life and drive off, but somehow I was stuck waiting. Waiting for something I didn't quite understand. I sat there looking at her house through my side mirror wishing she'd come out. I shouldn't feel this way about a girl. She's a random girl that I literally bumped into. Nothing more.

          When I finally decided to leave, I saw a shady man at her doorstep. Arie opened the door after a few knocks. They conversed for a good minute when I noticed him trying to barge in. What the hell? I abandoned my vehicle at once and started walking slowly towards her house in an attempt to sneak up on the man and take him down, but my plan was a waste considering he got inside and slammed the door shut behind him.

          Immediately, I bolted towards her house and tried to open the front door as quietly as possible in order to not alert the intruder of my presence, but it was locked. I could hear frantic footsteps running around the house along with Arie's screams and heavy pants. I pivoted around the house and looked for a back entrance. Locating a door that went down to the basement, I jumped down the steps and opened the unlocked door. With careful steps, I neared the stairs that ascended me to the first floor. My ears picked up on some shuffling sounding from the kitchen.

          "Please don't hurt me," I heard Arie plead. "I haven't done anything. Please don't do this," she cried.

          "Shut up, little girl, or I'll make it hurt," the man barked like a filthy, slimy dog before laughing sadistically. I could feel the adrenaline and anger rushing through my body. This motherfucker was about to go to hell.

          I took out the gun from behind me. Cocking it back, I turned around the corner and discharged the bullet at his shoulder. His nasty scream rippled through the kitchen as his dirty blood spouted on Arie's face, turning her as white as a sheet.

          "Stay down or the next one will be between your eyes," I shouted at him as he feebly attempted to get up and reach for his gun. I picked his weapon up and placed it on the round wooden dining table while he whimpered on the floor from pain. As much as I wanted the bullet in his head, I needed him alive to know why he'd attack this girl.

"Finish your date some other time. I need you and the cleanup crew at Arie's house now," I ordered into the phone.

I looked at Arie who was still frozen with her mouth wide open against the counter next to the stove. The man's crimson blood trickled down the side of her cheek and dripped on the white tiles of the kitchen floor. Taking cautious steps towards her, I spoke softly, "Arie?"