Chapter 18: Family

Please vote, share, and comment!

-------------------------------------------

          "This is beautiful," Evelina said as she admired my dress, running her fingers over the silk folds.

          "Thank you!" I smiled down at her little frame. Dimples dug deep into her cheeks similar to Leo's as she smiled back at me.

          "How old are you?"

          I took a second before answering to her blunt question, wondering what she was trying to get at. "Twenty-one."

          "Not bad," she nodded, tapping her index finger on her chin at a constant pace pretending to ponder.

          "Not bad?" I questioned.

          "Yeah, you're not too young or too old for Leo," she smiled sweetly at her older brother.

          "Lina," Leo intervened. "Don't." He warned, giving her a stern look.

          "What?" She stared at him, shaking her head in innocence. "I'm kidding. I'm not going to steal nonna's job." Rolling her eyes, she let out a breath, more like a huff.

          "Okay," I broke the tension and looked at Evelina. "How old are you?" I asked, trying to take our minds off things.

          "You should never ask a girl her age," she retorted curtly. This girl was just as intimidating as her brother. I don't know if I liked or disliked it at this very moment.

          "Well, you asked mine. It's only fair if you told me yours now. Don't you think?"

          She narrowed her eyes at me, reading my expression. "Fair enough," her lips curled upwards lightly. "And since I like you right now, I'll tell you. I'm fourteen."

"I see. You're almost a woman," I said sweetly. Having another friend around here other than Zaya wouldn't be bad even if she's really young.

"What are you talking about?" Her brows rose in a challenge. "I am a woman," she emphasized. Maybe Zaya will be the only friend for a while.

"Yeah, not really. Not yet of course," I smiled down at her. "You still have to grow into your body and your personality. So, you have some time till you get to that." I watched her expression change from cocky to amusement. "But by what I see right now, you have a strong personality already. You say whatever you feel like which is good, but some people might not like it. Haters everywhere."

"Damn," she grinned. "I like you so much more already and that's a first for me." Mission accomplished and it didn't even take long. Some wise words and caught the cat in the trap. I deserved a pat on the back.

"And I like you too."

"Everyone does," she sighed,
making me and Leo laugh. Her cockiness was on the high rise for a girl her age which was pretty amusing. "Well, I'm going to excuse you guys now. I have other things to do. Toodles!" She kissed her fingertips and waved at us. From what I observed, Evelina is a little brat, but not the worst one. Being brought up in a disgustingly rich household can probably do that to you.