01: no big deal.

Instafamous
01: no big deal.

✖️

When my best friend Ashley came around at exactly 7pm on a Monday evening, clad still in her Spongebob pyjama pants with one sock on one foot and only one shoe on the other, I knew I had done something wrong.

I saw her before I heard her, a flash of red and blue and black zooming down the street to stomp up the gravel path of my driveway. She had an obsession with hair dye, causing her head to become more colourful than a flashing neon nightclub sign at times. On the evening of question, she looked like a character straight out of a picture book.

She started off by pounding on my door, her knuckles rasping against the wood as I tried to justify myself for being so lazy. I was sat on the couch, deeply involved in an adorable fanfiction regarding 'single-dad Luke' when she began to rattle the doorknob; impatient, excited, and probably borderline pissed at me for taking so long.

Her frantic knocking turned into even louder shouts, hands cupped around her mouth as her voice echoed throughout the entirey of the quiet neighbourhood. I knew that I had exactly thirty seconds to unlock the front door unless I wanted her to smash a random window open; in the haste of her excitement, no proven hesitation, she'd do it. Because that was just the sort of person Ashley Fitzgerald was.

My footsteps onto the patio were slow. As she barged into my house, hers were the complete opposite; creating a surprisingly loud sound for semi-socked feet.

"Have you not been reading the group chat?" was the first thing she said to me, completely exasperated as she shook her oversized coat off. I looked at it, not surprised in the slightest to see that it wasn't even hers. She probably grabbed and wore the closest thing to her own front door before sprinting out of it, but that only made me even more paranoid as I knew she must have been desperate. "We've been trying to contact you for the past two hours!"

"I don't read the chat, you know that," I told her, clearing the sofa so that we both had a place to sit. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong? What's wrong is that you're awful at texting me back," she said, ignoring my initial question. "Where have you been?"

"I just left my phone for a bit, that's all. What's the big deal?" I asked, uninterested. In my mind, I was wasting precious time, time that could have been spent watching re-runs of Friends and reading a bounty of 5SOS Fanfiction on my laptop. Basically, a typical Monday (and everyday) evening.

The 'big deal', it turns out, was going to change my life forever. The 'big deal' left me with my mouth wide open, eyes enlarged in complete shock as Ashley tried her hardest to get the events of said 'big deal' through my clouded head, by the simple use of the two messages on her screen.

sophiexbaby
but im cuter

lukehemmings
Can't disagree with that.

In retrospect, I should have probably checked the chat when I had the chance. I shouldn't have logged off and left everyone waiting. It would have saved Ashley the trouble of taking two buses and hiking up an awkwardly positioned neighbourhood just to tell me what I'd been missing.

"Luke Hemmings replied to our chat!" she shouted, her voice at a much higher pitch than it was when she was standing outside of my front door.

Once I had gathered myself together, I just winced, reluctantly moving the phone out of my face on the account of, 1. her screaming made my ears do nothing but ache, and 2. I didn't believe her in the slightest.