12. meeting luke.

Instafamous
12. meeting luke.

✖️

"I'm... sorry?" there's no better thing to say so I stick with this. It's stupid, and it sounds so obviously fake, but it's all that I have right now.

"Sorry," Luke repeats over the line, and I hear a slow chuckle. He's probably shaking his head at my words, like he always does, because he never believes whatever lie I've managed to construct. "...Right."

"I panicked."

"I know,"

"I just didn't want to see you,"

"I know." his words are coming out somewhat pained as I twiddle my thumbs, not knowing what to apologise for next.

"It's not you," I tell Luke, as if that's enough to soften the blow. I feel like I'm breaking up with someone, and I feel like I should be even more sorry regardless of the fact that I'm not obligated to apologise for any choice that I make. "It's... me?"

I hear a sigh. I envision him shrugging. "It's okay."

I know it's not okay, because out of all of the times I've managed to avoid the topic of actually meeting him, this seems to put the icing on the cake. I had the oppurtunity to meet Luke, but I ran away. And the worst part is that he saw me.

Much like our past recent phone calls, this one ends quickly. I find myself waiting for Luke to say goodbye more often than I should. Sometimes I'm convinced that he wants to carry the conversation on, but then remembers that he's supposed to be angry at me and doesn't.

The next day, school is hectic and I have no idea why. I step through the double doors with the girls by my side, all of us immediately being bombarded by different groups of people.

Chloe and Bailey thankfully get to their classes in one piece, but unfortunately, I can't say the same for myself. Or Ashley, because I don't know where she's gone.

"Sophie, Sophie!" a voice yells.

"Hey, Hayes! Over here, a sec,"

"Sophie, can we talk to you?"

I dodge the group of freshmen that run past me, some of them looking me up and down before exchanging knowing looks between each other. I suddenly feel very self-conscious.

"Soph! Is it true?" I'm pulled to side, away from the busy crowd yet in an uncomfortably small corner.

"Is what true?" I furrow my eyebrows at Ellie Hicks, the girl in front who both saved and trapped me. My eyes bore deep into her hazel ones as she stares back at me in awe.

"That you and-"

"Sophie Eleanor! Over here," I'm ripped away like a piece of loose paper by someone else, a grey-haired girl who I have yet to name seeing as she's in the grade below us.

Nevertheless, she's much more known in the school than I am, and it's a wonder why she's suddenly so hellbent to talk to me. "Hi!" she says, chirpily.

Confused, I sling my bag further up my shoulder, seeing Ellie walk away with an eye roll behind us. "Uh, hi?"

"My name's Beth," the girl says, flicking a long lock of dyed silver back. "I'm in your photography class!"

I want to tell her that I don't do photography and have never held a camera in my life, aside from the one on my phone. But I'm genuinely curious as to what she wants so I keep quiet, nodding my head slowly to replace my words.