10. almond milk.

Instafamous
10. almond milk.

✖️

"When are you two going to fuck?" the question leaves Ashley's mouth abruptly, giving me no time to swallow the sip of water I took beforehand. I end up choking as it slides down with difficulty, fighting to catch my breath.

"What?" she blinks cluelessly at me.

Wiping at my mouth, I shake my head at her. "You can't say stuff like that,"

"I just asked you a question. I'm curious, sue me,"

"You might as well forget it. Sophie keeps avoiding him," Bailey rolls her eyes, flicking through the magazine on her lap.

I'd called the girls over earlier on today to distract me from the thought of Luke, not to bring it all back. It's kind of obvious that won't happen, though; the topic of the man with the guitar is almost unavoidable with us.

"I'm not avoiding him," I say. All three of them- even Chloe, who looks up from her bush conversation on her phone- raise their eyebrows at me. "Okay, I'm avoiding him."

"I don't see why," Ashley frowns, leaning forward like a mother about to scold her young child over a bad report card. "Your whole account is basically centred around him. What did you expect was going to happen?"

"Not this," I shake my head, and it's true. Never in a million years would I have anticipated Luke stumbling upon my pictures- much less my captions.

"At least you're not in denial anymore, I'll give you that. But he really wants to meet you, Soph." she tells me.

In the background, I hear Chloe and Bailey talking in hushed whispers over a TV programme they've both been obsessed with, and I try to focus on that instead. But I can't, because Ashley's staring at me like I'm in an interrogation room, and Luke still hasn't left my mind from earlier, and my heart feels like a constant deflating balloon in my chest.

"I don't want to meet him," I tell her, truthfully. This earns a shrug and a sigh, and a pat on the shoulder.

"Fifteen year old you would have loved this." she notes.

"Fifteen year old me also would have stanned Luke even if he held a loaded gun to my throat. People change," I say, my voice coated in dry humour. She just chuckles.

"Whatever," Ashley says. Then she leans back, her fingers tapping slowly on the coffee table. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Mhm,"

"You and Luke. You live in the same city. I know LA's big-"

"What if we accidentally meet?" I finish it for her, knowing that if she's about to start beating around the bush, it'll take a while. "Like, run in to each other?"

"On the street, in a café. Just the normal everyday stuff that people do," she tries to act nonchalant, but I can see right through her. "Would you walk away?"

I think about it. I don't give her a solid answer, instead I shake my head and shrug, but it doesn't fail to stick in my mind for the rest of the day.

I replay her Ashley's question over and over in my brain as I push the cart down a grocery aisle, staring absentmindedly at the stuff on the shelves around me.