e-ighteen

f l a s h b a c k

i sat on the slightly itchy grass as i watched boyfriends act cute, ruffle their girlfriends hair and kiss them on the cheeks. i mentally slapped my mind reminding myself about the chemistry test tomorrow. focus, focus. out of all the loud shouting voices, the gossiping and the laughing, a distinct tone made me lift my head.

"rude jerk. why did you do that?!" i watched the distant pair of boys kick at eachother.

"i didn't take your money. it wasn't me."

"how can i trust you? huh?!" i watched the taller one throw his hands into the other's blazer pockets and empty his backpack onto the ground which made more heads turn. i forgot about the presence of my textbook on my lap and became immersed in the emerging of the fight. he kicked and shoved around his belongings, no bothered to help. 

"WHERE'S MY MONEY BASTARD." the taller shouted.

the boy, who i personally deemed innocent, grabbed his wallet and pulled out a dollar bill. "this is all i have. i really don't have your money." he said trying to keep cool. he clenched his fist, picked up his scattered belongings putting them back into his bag and tried to walk away. 

as i lost interest, and was about to go back to my work, i heard loud gasps from the bystanders followed by a thug on the ground. the black haired boy quickly stood up and again, dropped his bag, and to my shock returned the punch. 

they began to have a full fight and were eventually separated by teachers and other boys. 

"what are they doing with their life?" i continued to review my textbook and write notes as i secretly 'observed' my oponent, the rude jerk, taebyun or something get up from his table and walk to the boys who were still kicking at each other while being held back. taebyun walked up to the taller guy, put his hand on his shoulder and said something. he calmed his friend down and then also glared at the other boy bickering a few words and leaving. 

"what was that?"

the crowd died down and i quickly packed up my stuff and ran a few meters to catch up with the 'victim.' i finally caught up with him and started to walk beside him as he kept up his stoic expression. "who's that guy you fought with? taebyun's friend? i hate taebyun's guts so much, so i guess anyone associated with him is bound to be a jerk too right?" 

he didn't speak at first, but after following him for a few more steps anticipating a response, he grumbled. "it's taehyung, not taebyun."

"ah i see." i replied not really interested in his name.

"i must be a jerk too then." he mumbled, head hanging low as we conitnued to walk to our next class.

"what?"

"i hung out with them up until last week. i used to be friends with those petty people until i realised taehyung and his friends just can't stand anyone being better than them. they are so up themselves."

"tell me about it. taehyung thinks he is so great at everything. i beat him in last year's science yearly exam by half a mark and he pretends like he came first." i blabbered on so much that i didn't notice he had already left. i watched him walk further away from me and i quickly read the dangling key chain on his bag.