Fourteen

Warning: Brief talk of emotional abuse.

Days Until Extermination: 13

+

Tyler knocked gently on the front door to Josh's house, a surprised look on his face when his mother opened it.

"He's in his room." Is all she said, walking back to the living room and leaving Tyler to awkwardly stand in the doorway.

Even though this was the first time that Tyler was actually meeting Josh's mother, he could tell why the boy wasn't too fond of her. Sure, Josh loved his mom as most children do but that doesn't mean that he had to like her whatsoever. And it's not like she didn't try, she just didn't try hard enough.

"Thanks." He mumbled, closing the door behind him before heading to Josh's room. He ran his fingers through his short, brown hair as he let out a heavy sigh. He wasn't sure if he was going to be able to look at Josh the same way again. Knowing about the suffering that he went through, the agony he had to deal with all by himself.

Tyler pushed open the door, but quickly stopped in his tracks when he saw that Josh was asleep. A light smile graced his face when he noticed that the boy had passed out on his bed, laptop only a few feet from his face. The younger boy quietly tip-toed over, picking up the laptop and setting it on the desk.

He then pulled a blanket over Josh's body, tugging it up to his shoulders before he turned back towards the door. But before he made it out of the room, the other boy began to stir.

"Mm, Tyler?" And there was something about his voice that made the taller boy feel all bubbly inside.

"S-Sorry, didn't mean to wake you." Tyler quickly apologized, shifting back to look at the other boy.

Josh shook his head, pushing back his hair that had fallen into his face. "S'okay. Didn't mean to fall asleep."

But judging from his appearance, he could definitely tell that he needed it. Beneath his beautiful brown eyes dark bags showed that he clearly hadn't been sleeping much lately. His skin was even more pale than usual and his whole aura just screamed "tired".

"Oh shit, Frank." Josh suddenly mumbled, reaching over to grab his phone and send the boy a quick apology for falling asleep while they were skyping.

See, the two had planned on meeting again, enjoying each other's company quite well. That is, until Frank's parents got word of the party that had happened while they were away and they grounded him from going anywhere. Honestly, it was kind of funny, usually Frank would be quite alright with not having to leave his room for he wasn't one to enjoy social interaction much anyway. But something about Josh made him change his mind and he longed to see the beautiful boy with the broken smile once again. So instead, they video chatted.

"Sorry, I was skyping Frank and must've fallen asleep on him." The older boy explained, setting his phone back down on the bed.

Tyler suddenly felt a bit of anger, but he couldn't figure out why it was. It was just an odd feeling in his gut that he couldn't shake off until Josh spoke up again; and just like that, the awful feeling had disappear.

"Come sit, Ty." He said, his voice soft and gentle as if he were coaxing a child to come to him.

So the short haired boy did as he was told and plopped down on the bed right across from Josh. They were only two feet away at most but Tyler still felt like he was too far from him. Knowing what he knows now, he feels as if he could be holding Josh tightly, as if he could protect him from whatever may come.

Little did he know, Josh felt the same way. He wanted to cling to Tyler and not let go. The older boy felt safe and secure with his touch, as if nothing and no one could ever harm him again. Next thing Josh knew, his wish had come true and Tyler was hugging him, his strong arms wrapping around the boy's waist.