Twenty-Nine

Okay, so, sorry I took forever to write this but... anyway, this only has like maybe three-foyr more chapters and then I'm giving up on it. Thanks to anyone reading (if there is anyone reading this).
_______________

*Two Months Later*

"Do you ever think about the future?" Josh asked, head tilted back against the edge of the sofa as he stared up at the ceiling.

Tyler practically snorted. "Uh, have you met me? You know that I over think everything, right?" The boy replied, exhaling a puff of smoke before handing the pipe to Josh.

"Well, yeah, but, like, five to ten years from now. Where will we be? What will we be doing? Who will we be with? Will we even still be friends?" He said, taking the small pipe and placing his pink lips around it before bringing the lighter up and burning the slightly illegal substance.

Tyler hummed, eyes shifting to look at the boy who was now staring back at him. "I'd like to think that we are. We've been good for each other so far. I mean, when we first met, the only thing we talked about was wanting to die and now... Now I can't even imagine a world without you."

The older boy gave him a soft smile, rolling his eyes at the dramatic response of his friend. "Thank you. Me either, for the record."

Things had been looking up for both of them lately. Tyler hadn't seen much of Brendon since they broke up. He practically moved into Josh's house so he didn't have to deal with his parents, and the two had somehow gotten even closer. Josh, on the other hand, has been silently living in fear that the man he had successfully put behind bars might manage to free himself. On the plus side, his mother had been acting more pleasant, even though she was hardly around anymore, and his siblings still checked in on one another quite often.

Frank, Ashley, and Patrick had all decided to give Josh some room to breathe, not wanting to be the source of any sort of trigger. Plus they had lives of their own and just knowing that Josh was alive and well was good enough for them to move on and do their own thing.

Everyone was just trying to go back to normal, or as normal as they could get considering the recent circumstances. That was Josh's one wish after Pete was placed in prison; he wanted everyone to return to what they were doing before and carry on as if nothing had ever happened. He asked them not to treat him any differently too, don't censor themselves around him, don't treat him like a child, just act like everything is fine. And it was, at least for now anyway. Josh didn't dare say that out loud though. No, he was too afraid that he was going to jinx it and it would all come crumbling down faster than he could blink.

Because it always did. Everytime something seemed to be going well, a horrible thing would happen and all the good things in his life seemed to crash down rather quickly.

"Do you ever think about running away?" Josh asked, because it too had been on his mind an awful lot lately.

"More than you know, J. But, honestly, where would I go? I have no money, no place to go, nothing. I'd end up being homeless."

"I had a full time job before I turned eighteen. I mean, it was only for about two years, but still, I racked up quite a bit of cash considering I never went out and spent it and I still live with my mother so she pays for my necessities." Josh pondered, wondering out loud. He was speaking more to himself than he was to Tyler, but the younger boy didn't know that.
"Is that something that you're thinking about doing?" Tyler asked quietly. And, yes, his voice wavered, but he didn't care. Suddenly, he was scared of losing Josh. If he left him, things would never be the same. He was the only thing keeping him from falling apart. He has told Josh before that he did not hate his life anymore and that he had changed his mind about wanting to die, but that's because of Josh. If Josh wasn’t there, he's not so sure that he wouldn’t mind death again.