Twenty-One

hey, guys.... please don't hate me.

WARNING: this chapter contains a suicide scene. PLEASE seek out help if you're suicidal. I love you all and I'm always here if you need someone. x

________

recap: Josh only had thirty-five hours before his death was to originally take place, but he knew that he couldn't wait that long. Plus, he also knew that Tyler didn't deserve to die. He had already decided that when the two stood side-by-side, holding a gun to each other's heads, he wouldn't pull the trigger on Tyler.

Josh on the other hand, needed death. And he needed it now.
___

•flashback•

Josh stood on his tiptoes, his arms moving back and forth in order to keep his head above the slow moving waves. Another boat had passed the two boys a few yards away and had caused the water to move softly towards them. Sure, he was only about four feet deep but he was still terrified of going any further.

"Are you coming?" Tyler asked, rubbing drops water away from his eyes before looking over at Josh. He had swam further out, inches away from the orange buoys that were set out in order to keep people from going too far into the boating zone.

"Uh," Josh glanced at Tyler, seeing how far he had gone. His heart was racing, teeth chattering together as his fears began bubbling to the surface.

The teenager had never been one to express his emotions to others, so instead of replying, he simply just stayed put, far too scared to move forward. The other boy frowned, quickly diving under and swimming back to Josh.

"You alright?" He asked, although he felt like he already knew the answer to his question. "What's wrong?"

"I'm not- I don't-" Josh stuttered out, feeling worthless. What kind of person doesn't know how to swim? Most people learn this basic life skill when they're kids, but Josh was different. He had never swam a day in his life. Besides, the water was fucking freezing and he hates that he had agreed to go with him even though it was technically the fall season.

The water felt like ice against his skin, and he couldn't help but flinch when Tyler reached out to grab his hand. "Josh. You're okay. Just relax."

And he didn't even realize it, but he had began to breathe fairly quickly, the cool air rushing into his lungs. Josh nodded, gulping harshly as he closed his eyes shut tight.

Tyler tugged him back towards the shore, wrapping his arms around the boy once they had reached the sand. "Christ, you're freezing." He muttered, pulling Josh back to his car.

He sat the boy down, closing he door before rushing around and getting into the drivers side himself. Tyler quickly turned on the car, switching the heat to blast and looking over at Josh.

"Wh-Wh-Why would you c-com-come out here when it's s-so co-cold?" Josh asked, his teeth chattering together.

Tyler took his hands, holding them tightly in attempts to warm them up. "It doesn't really bother me much, honestly." He shrugged. "I've been doing this for years, I guess... I guess my body is used to it. Is that why you looked on the verge of freaking out?"

"I-I wasn't-" Josh shivered, leaning over further so that he could rest his head on Tyler's shoulder. It was an awkward position considering that the middle console was in the way but Josh didn't mind, as long as he could touch his friend, he was fine. "I wasn't f-freaking o-ut."

"Josh." Tyler said, warning him that he knew that he was lying.

"Okay, s-so I'm not too good with w-water." The older of the two admitted, hiding his face in the nook of Tyler's neck.