Party

"Blossom you'll never believe what just happened." I said taking the seat next to her.

"Cameron tried to kiss you?" she said without looking up.

"How did you know?" I said shocked at how easily she guessed.

"Because he was my boyfriend before and asked me out the same way." she said avoiding eye contact.

"Oh my God, Blossom I'm so sorry at least I didn't kiss him. He sounds like a jerk." I said hoping to make her feel better.

"Wait you turned down Cameron Slate?" she said wide eyed.

"Yep I didn't like him in that way." I said and got focused on trigonometry.

"Wow you really are somethin." she said getting back to work.

We made small talk throughout class until the bell rung. I ran to my locker hoping Cameron didn't take it upon himself to try again at kissing me.

To my surprise Chance was waiting at my locker. He looked up when he saw me coming.

"Hey I thought I'd walk you to the cafe." he said flashing his 1000 watt smile.

"Aren't you the nicest friend ever." I said giggly.

"Nicest best friend" he corrected.

I smiled at the thought. "I like the sound of that." I said looking up into his hazelnut eyes.

"Shall we?" he said offering his arm like an old time gentleman.

"We shall." I laughed interlacing my arm in his. I couldn't help the feeling that I was being watched although this wing of the hall was empty. We walked into lunch this way and for once I was not deterred by people gawking and spreading rumors. With Chance I felt safe.

*******

I got off the lunch line and moved swiftly to the table Chance Jason and Jacob were sitting with some other people I didn't know. I got a few Hellos along the way and waved back. The kids seemed shocked that I even paid any attention to them. I guess that means I'm considered popular now.

It was then that I realized Cameron and Serena were also seated at the table. Great just great. I thought to myself. Jacob bounced up first allowing me to sit with my newly found best friend.

"Thanks Jakey." I said to him enjoying giving everyone nick names today. He patted my head like a puppy careful not to mess up my hair.

"Ok everybody this is Katie" Chance introduced. "But you could call her Kay."

"Oh trust me I will call her once I get that number." one if the guys joked from across the table.

"Please Gabriel she wouldn't answer even if you did call her." Chance retaliated making laughter bubble to the surface.

"Don't worry Gabe I would" I said laughing. I seen Jason and Jacob mouthing the words 'no she won't' and I slapped their arms.

Shaking his head chance continued introductions.

"You've met Jason, Jacob, Cameron, Serena, and recently Gabriel. That over there is Terrance, Natalie, Sasha, and Julie." he explained gesturing to everybody.

I said hi to them all avoiding eye contact with Cameron.

"So guys me and Kay are throwing a party next weekend invite everyone you know." Chance said suddenly.

"Wait we're wha-" I began but Chance cut me off.

"Shhh just go with it." he whispered in my ear.

I nodded in response. The table was bustling with talk about drinks, a place, people coming and entertainment.

I guess we're throwing a party.