Running Away

I was woken abruptly by Cameron roughly dragging me from the backseat. I don't remember when I fell asleep but I do recall getting slapped for having Bailey's phone in the backseat. Luckily I deleted the call log so there was no proof of contacting Chance.

I stumbled out the car and noticed that my bunny slippers weren't very good to walk through the woods in. As we walked, every tree branch, rock, and leaf stabbed the bottom of my foot as if I had no shoes on at all. Soon enough I couldn't tell if my feet were bleeding or if I stepped in a puddle. Cameron, with both my arms locked behind my back, continued to push me forward despite my cries of pain.

Although it was at least 9 o'clock the tall trees blocked out all sunlight making it dark and ghostly in the forest. Small gaps in the trees let in just enough sunlight for me to make out Bailey ahead of us.

"Come on this way." she waved us onto a foot trail.

An owl hooted loudly catching all of our attention.

"What the hell?" Cameron's deep voice whispered behind me.

"It was just an owl." I said trying to keep calm.

"No it isn't. It's past 9 in the morning, they're nocturnal." Bailey replied cautiously.

I took this chance to make my escape while the curiosity was at it's peak. Once Bailey walked off to the sound I lifted my foot and stomped as hard as I could on Cameron's toes. Pain shot up through my leg convincing me that it hurt me more than him but this didn't slow me down. I began running as fast as I could off the foot path.

I heard them yell and began peddling their feet after me but I was faster. Even as my lungs ceased to allow new air and threatened to shrivel up, I kept running. Loose branches and bushes grabbed at my clothes, ripping the soft fabric of my pajamas as I constantly jerked my body trying to loose them. After what felt like miles of running, my slipper finally fell off causing me to stop and retrieve it.

Cameron and Bailey were no longer after me. I took in my surroundings realizing that I hadn't looked where I was going the entire time. I was in a large clearing near a stream. I limped over to the flowing water stumbling on my bleeding feet more than once.

I dropped to my knees and seen my reflection. I looked like shit. My face was Bruised and swollen. I leant down in the stream and filled my mouth with cool water. Next I took my slippers off and put my battered feet in the cold stream.

I watched as rusted color blood mixed with the clear water and floated down stream. I winced at the pain and pulled my legs out. All of a sudden I found my entire head being held beneath the surface of the water.

My eyes grew wide as I was drowned. I struggled and flailed my arms about trying to get free. I kicked out my legs as well but found all my attempts to survive fall uselessly back into the stream. The water went through my nostrils and into my lungs when I could no longer hold my breath and had to breathe.

The corners of my vision went black while my body went limp and my brain shut off.

HOW WAS THAT?

I promise to update again but in the mean time read the new book I'm working on called Choosing Between The Two while you wait.