In The Woods

"You have reached your destination." the gps beeped signalling for me to stop driving.

I looked up at the signs around us that told me I was on Matilda street. I had no idea what to do next until my eyes settled on the woods that sat behind some houses.

"Guys what's the most secluded area in the woods?" I asked knowing that Jason would have the answer.

He used to hide out in the woods of our park when he was stressed out or needed a brake.

"That's a easy one. Its the middle of it." Jason piped over my chair.

"Let's go then." I said climbing out the car.

I stood in the middle of the road and noticed how deserted and eerily silent the neighborhood was. I scoped the houses to find which one was mostly in the center, then motioned to Jacob and Jason.

They vaulted over the fence of the house and tip toed to the back. I took one more look around me before doing they same.

"Hey guys is there another g-" I was abruptly stopped by a series of shushes.

"Shut the fuck up." both boys whisper-yelled in unison.

Then I seen it.

In the dog house lay an oversized Rottweiler stirring from his slumber. I clamped my lips shut as they motioned for me to climb over the gate. They were both over and ready to pull me up when a growl escaped the dog house.

I turned slowly to the source of the sound.

The dog seemed more like a bear as it came to all fours and bared it's teeth. He glared at me for trespassing and let out a very threatening bark.

"Come on hurry up." Jacob pleaded from over the fence but I was stunned.

My legs would not cooperate with what my brain was telling them. Come on Chance. Run. Hurry up and run. I told myself trying so hard to listen.

Jason had opened the gate and waved me over.

"Hey whose out there?" a voice echoed from inside the house.

That was what snapped me out of it and my legs scrambled for the open gate. The dog was behind me but didn't make it through as Jason slammed the door on it's nose.

I was out of breath when I reached my friends. A mixture of fear and exhaustion made it hard to breathe.

"Come on.. guys... Let's... go save...

Kay." I spoke in between sucking in air and wheezing.

We had only been speed walking for about 10 minutes before we heard the gut wrenching scream. I recognized it as Katie's and stared wide eyed at the guys.

"Jake call the cops tell them where we are." Jason ordered before breaking into a full out Sprint with us hot on his heels.

"And ask for the paramedics." I added, the fear for Katie's safety adding to my adrenaline and forcing me to run faster.