Recovery

The last thing I remembered before passing out, was Chance bursting into the tree house catching the sunlight perfectly in his hair and bravery in his eyes.

I woke up now to his sleeping face sitting across from me in a chair. He looked like he went through hell and back to rescue me. He had bags under his eyes and from the way he was sitting, I could tell there was something wrong with his left side. He looked much calmer and at peace when he was sleeping.

"Kay.." he mumbled in his sleep.

I smiled and got up off the bed wincing at the pain in my feet. I noticed they were both bandaged up. I realized I was in a hospital and checked to see what else they fixed on me.

There was a small bandaid-like thing under my left eye and above my right eyebrow. I was still covered in bruises. When my hands made its way to my chest, I felt stitches in the shape of an L.

I carefully laid back in bed when Chance called out to me again.

"Katie?" he questioned.

I sat up, leaning back on the bed.

"Yea Chance?"

"You're up!" he said rushing to my side.

I smiled at him saying, "Yea. You didn't miss me too much right?"

"Oh god, I missed you way too much." he said gathering me in a hug.

I gasped at his roughness and he quickly let go.

"Did I hurt you?" he asked cautiously.

"No. You make everything better." I smiled and used all my strength just to hug him back. "Just try to be more gentle."

He rubbed the back of his head and blushed before apologizing.

"How long have I been here?" I asked having no concept of time.

"It was three days. They say you could be released next week." Chance explained.

I smirked at him, "And did you not sleep for those three days?" gesturing towards his eyes.

When he didn't respond I knew it was true and decided to chance the subject.

"Who else is here besides you?" I asked curiously.

"Your Mom, Jacob, Jason, Serena, some cops that want to ask questions..." he began.

"Hold on you said Serena?!" I asked hoping I was mistaken.

"Yep she wants to talk to you." he replied.

"Can you send her in, then my mom?" I asked confused by her presence.

"Sure anything for you. We need to talk after too."

I nodded and he left.

Serena's heels clacked into the room and I sighed.

"Why are you here Serena?"

"I heard about what happened and I could tell Chance really loves you. He never acted like this around me... but I'm happy for you guys. We really got off on the wrong foot, but I would like to be friends and make it work." She spoke slowly and softly eyes never leaving her feet.

I could tell it took a toll on her ego. I respected her courage to say what she said though. The genuineness of her voice really touched me as I said

"I would like to be friends too." and gave her a smile.

Her eyes automatically shot up to look at me and the corners of her lips lifted in the first smile she ever directed at me.

"I'll get your mother." she said leaving with the smile taped to her face.

When my mom came in my smile faded. Her face was pale and her eyes red with worry.

"Katie, my baby, how could this have happened?" She rushed to my bed side.

"Ma I'm fine. I'm okay. Shhh... stop crying." I soothed her in my arms.

"I owe Chance a big thanks. I don't think the police would have been able to find you with out him." She rambled after a pause.

"I know mom he's amazing isn't he." I smiled to myself thinking about him.

"Yea and those friends of his too. I don't know how I could repay them." she said softly.

"How bout letting me date your daughter." Chance spoke from the door way.

I never heard him come in.

My mom smiled. "Maybe you should ask her that. I'll leave you two alone to talk." she said before shutting the door behind her.

I looked at Chance and felt my face heating up.

"So..." I began "Where does this leave us?"

"Well it leaves me with a question." he responded getting closer to me.

"What is that?" I ask my breathing getting shallow from his contact.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" he questioned his face inches away from mine.

Before I could answer, his lips touched mine. It felt like million fireworks were set off inside of me. Months worth of lust, love, and passion was put into that kiss.

As we pulled away I thought of our journey. My L shaped scar was a symbol of love being a battlefield. Was I willing to be a soldier in that war? Yea love hurts but is it worth the pain?

I looked up into Chance's beautiful eyes that were as wide and brown as a gazelle's and gave him my answer.