Saving Katie

When we heard a second scream come from above us all questions about what to do were lost and replaced with actions. I came up the hatch first followed by Jason then Jacob. Once I laid my eyes on Cameron, I gave him an elbow to the face.

I was too quick for him to react on our surprise visit. I socked him in the nose, then watched my right fist connect with his left eye. The impact was enough to send him flying into the tree house wall. As his body slammed against the wood, I noticed the knife in his hand.

He was dazed but refused to give up. Cameron charged at me with his weapon ready. I jumped to dodge it but bumped into Jason who was untying Katie from the desk. In the few seconds that I glanced at Kay to see what he had done to her, Cameron managed to slice me across my hip.

Anger and resentment surged through my body like liquid pouring through my veins.

I grabbed the hand that held the knife and wrestled it free. Everything was happening so quickly that I hadn't realized the enormity of stabbing Cameron in the stomach. I felt the knife easily penetrate his body and I backed away, the knife still inside him, as he slid down the tree house door.

My eyes were wide as I rushed over to Katie. She was bleeding profusely from the cuts on her chest. I quickly took off my shirt.

"Sit her up." I ordered rather than asked Jason.

"But the blood. She's gonna bleed out faster." He argued back.

The wail of police and E.R sirens got closer as we spoke. I could easily distinguish the two with my adrenaline rush putting all my senses on edge.

"Just hurry this will help her slow the blood. The police and ambulance are close by." I justified before ripping my shirt in a long strip.

He quickly sat her upright and the blood began to slide down her chest onto her breast. Although I never seen her bare breast before, this was much too important for me to admire them. I quickly wrapped the shirt around Katie's frail body tying it tightly in the back. Jason eased her body back down.

"Who ever is up there come down with your hands up." A voice bellowed through a loud speaker.

I climbed out first, and Jason eased Katie into my hands.

"She's hurt." I stated loudly.

The paramedics rushed me putting Katie in the back of the Ambulance. Jason came out with Jacob and Bailey. Bailey was shoved in the police car and I heard Jacob explain that the attempted murderer was still in there with a knife inside him. I disregarded them all and approached the paramedics.

"Can I ride with her? I-I have to ride with her. Please?" I begged my voice breaking as I tried to hold back tears.

"Get in kid." a lady told me with a smile.

I stood next to Katie on the gurney and absent mindedly ran my fingers through her hair in a calming motion.

"Stand back." another nurse ordered as she took her pulse and tried to better stop the blood flow.

I sat in the corner.

"Oh Katie what have they done to you."