23 - Cats

* Length: 1334 words
Yuri has a bad day, so Otabek surprises him by buying a lot of cats! But how in the world do you subtly buy three kittens?

~

Yuri sighs while walking home. The wind blows his blond hair behind him in a whirlwind. He kicks a pebble across the sidewalk.

Today hasn't been a good day. He went to the rink to skate but didn't land a single jump. Yuri doesn't know why he preformed so terribly.

He remembers how it felt when he skidded across the ice. Whenever he leapt into the air, he thought he would land with grace. But instead, Yuri was greeted with many unpleasant surprises. What did he do wrong?

Yuri arrives at his front door and creaks it open. He shares a house with Otabek, so he expects to see his raven haired boyfriend nearby.

"Otabek?" He calls, but only silence responds. He takes his skates and drops them against the wall. "Otabek?" Yuri shouts again. No reply.

He sighs. Probably at the store he tells himself.  Yuri sits on the couch and bundles into a pile of blankets. He frowns, wishing Otabek were home to cheer him up.

Whenever Yuri feels down, his lover is always there to make him smile. No matter the situation, Otabek is persistent and will do anything to make Yuri grin.

Yuri grabs the remote off the coffee table and clicks on the television. He watches as the people on screen talk and dance, having much more fun than Yuri. He sighs and frowns. Today will be a long day.

-

Meanwhile, Otabek is busy driving to the pet store. He was leaving to get lunch when Yuri returned home. Yuri didn't see him, but Otabek saw how broken his boyfriend looked.

Without hesitation, he skipped lunch and went straight to the place that would make his lover smile. The pet store.

Yuri is a cat person, there's no arguing that. The first time Yuri met Otabek, he had asked him, "Are you a dog person or a cat person?" Otabek had responded. "Cat." He has a feeling that if he said otherwise, the two wouldn't be as close as they are today.

Otabek opens the pet store door, ringing a bell throughout the room. A happy shopkeeper waves from behind the counter. "Welcome to Petorama!" She greets. Otabek smiles and waves slightly.

He looks around the store. His eyes avert to different animals. The sounds of birds, cats, dogs, and various other pets fill the store. He smiles.

Otabek finds the cat section quickly. Displayed before him are a pen of seven cats. He grins. All of them are cute, adorable kittens. Yuri's favorite.

He picks one up and looks at it, rubbing its back. The kitten meows in response, nuzzling further into Otabek. Otabek isn't usually a sucker for cute animals, but this cat is beyond adorable.

He sets the kitten down and looks at the other cats. Otabek hums while he glances at two fluffballs in the corner. They both look similar, and are probably siblings.

He smiles. To him, the kittens look exactly alike. But Otabek already knows that Yuri would be able to differentiate them in a second.