16. Scent of Roses

Terza was in the elevator of the hotel where her family was staying going up. She had decided to join her mother and some of the other ladies to have breakfast. She didn't think she felt like going to the Rosario hotel so she had sent a message to Vincenzo that she wasn't coming to him early on.

As the elevator reached the right floor, Terza was surprised to see the elevator not stopping. It kept going up. Had the elevator been faulty? She hoped not. She was on alert as she leaned against the elevator's metal walls cautious of why the elevator was acting on its own.

After going up a few more floors, the door of the elevator suddenly opened. She didn't care where she was. She just wanted to go back. She kept pressing buttons but it didn't work. She decided to step outside and take the stairs down hoping there were no nasty surprises hidden. She took out her hand gun from her purse and stepped off the elevator. She then gasped. The floor was different. It opened into a massive dining hall. It was covered with roses everywhere. She saw a nicely laid out breakfast table in the middle of the deserted dining hall. She was in awe of the room. She loved roses and the scent of pastries and coffee were so inviting.

"Put down the gun Terza." Vincenzo warned.

Terza turned facing him and put her hand on her heart. " It is you?"

Vincenzo gave her a hard look as he took a step towards her " Were you expecting someone else?"

Terza shrugged " Yes...I mean... it could be anyone... I expected anyone..."

Vincenzo retorted " Well you thought wrong Terza. I am not anyone. I am your man and I wish to have breakfast with you privately and quietly in peace. I didn't like that you pressed the button to go to the other floor. It was way too crowded. This place is better. Let's go." He then grabbed the gun from her hand swiftly before she could react and put it away " You don't need guns here... I have installed high tech intruder alerts and wires capable of transferring electrocuting shocks available at the walls and the door if anyone tries to break in."

Terza asked " How did you plan all this in such short time?"

Vincenzo replied " I am prepared. You asked me to work for it and I did. So..." He then offered his hand for her to take " Would you like to have breakfast with me?"

Terza almost laughed " Why do you ask questions when you know I can't choose any other option. It's not like I can leave... You have intruder alerts and the elevator works at your command. Do I have any other choice?"

Vincenzo frowned and retreated his hand " You always have a choice Terza. I give you a code and you can put it in the wired box there while I get rid of all this. This is all for you Terza. You can choose not to want it..."

Terza sensed the sincerity in his voice. Vincenzo's attentiveness reminded her of Francesco Rosario who provided everything for his wife. It was beyond belief how much her needs went above his and anyone else's. She didn't think Vincenzo was that attentive and considerate but the tone of his voice just told her he was willing to do anything for her to make it convenient for her.

Terza smile " Vincenzo. I would love to have breakfast here. Thank you for doing this." She then took his hand in hers and lead them to the table which was met by a smile from Vincenzo. She was willing to not be difficult. He had gone into so much trouble for arranging this but what made her not make him wait longer for a breakfast date was the fact that he asked nicely. She had already allowed him to have a date with her last night. She wanted him to work for the next one but he asked so nicely she couldn't say no.