63. Happy Times With Her

Adele was lying in bed as she had her eyes closed but was not asleep yet. Angelo was sitting on a sofa reading reports inside a ring binder.

Angelo became startled and the folder flew from his hand onto the tea table as he heard his name being called by his brother in law. Francesco's voice always made chills run down his spine. His presence was demanding and his voice was just purely intimidating to him even if he addressed him in the most informal way by his first name.

To Angelo's relief, Francesco's attention was not on Angelo or the fact that he didn't respond. His attention was on his wife who was now sitting up on the bed. Adele was smiling at him. It didn't take much for Adele to get Francesco's full attention. Nothing mattered in the room except Adele if she was there.

Francesco walked to her and said "Sweetheart. Do you want to come to our bedroom to sleep tonight or you would rather stay in this..." He looked around the room "small medical sanctuary under your brother's watch."

Angelo wanted to interrupt to answer but he knew better. He had to wait to be addressed now.

Adele shrugged "I don't mind."

Francesco turned to Angelo "What's the verdict on my wife's health?"

Angelo noticed how Francesco emphasised the words "my wife" instead of referring to Adele as "your sister". That set his expectations.

Angelo breathed "She is fine. Her tests are normal." He then picked up the folder and offered it to Francesco."

Francesco said "Stay in the guest room tonight. I may need you to run some tests tonight. She wasn't eating well this morning. She may be weak. Are you able to handle your commitments to stay the night?"

Angelo said "Yes. Of course. I stay as long as needed."

Adele said "I am fine Francesco. Angelo can go home tonight."

Francesco said "Sweetheart. If Angelo wishes to leave all he needs to is ask. You don't need to do the asking for him." He then gave Angelo a hard look.

Angelo said quickly "I have no where else to be. My shifts are covered in the hospital. It's all pre-arranged."

Adele said "What about your wife? She is alone at home."

Francesco said "His wife was working for military. She is trained to endure being away from family."

Angelo caught the contempt in his words. Francesco never agreed to Angelo's marriage to Elise. The fact that she was even alive was a miracle. But of course for Adele, Francesco always bent the rules as much as he could. Angelo was alive because of Adele, so was his wife and his son Austin.

Francesco leaned down, smiled, lifted her up bridal style "Let's go to bed sweetheart. Your brother is fully capable of objecting if he wishes it."

Angelo wanted to cough. Who could object to Francesco? Who had any objection? As long as his brother in law didn't order his family's demise Angelo was more than happy to serve him. Angelo was smart enough to know how lucky he was for being spared and being allowed to live the way he did after all the stunts he had pulled. He didn't take it for granted. His brother in law was a criminal but he loved Adele to death.

Adele wrapped her arms around Francesco's neck "I can walk..." Francesco opened the door and carried her to the direction of their bedroom.

Francesco said "Don't worry sweetheart. Our children are not going to disturb us. They are not going to see me carry you."

Adele asked "Where are they?"

Francesco said "Well. One is outside playing with his dogs and trying to impress his girl, one is checking on his girl to see if she can fall asleep after she has cut her medication and the other is saying goodbye outside to her man which she has been doing for the last 20 minutes." He then kicked the door open to his bedroom and said "Meanwhile, I am here holding you in my arms ... I want have the whole night without discussing my business." He put Adele down on the bed gently and then started taking off his coat as he was looking at Adele.