47. Battles Inside

Viggo walked outside the house. It was early morning. He could see Vincenzo was standing not far away. Vincenzo was standing next to one of trees and leaning to it. Viggo had been watching his older brother through the windows. Vincenzo hadn't slept that much and had gone outside mostly to clear his head. Vincenzo had been pacing the grounds. He was looking at his watch and balling his hands into fists.

As Viggo approached his brother, Vincenzo glanced in his direction giving him a look that was not hostile but was not welcoming either.

Viggo wordlessly approached his brother and stood in front of him. He stared into his eyes and didn't say a word. Neither looked away.

Viggo decided to speak first. He was the younger brother. He had to respect his brother's wishes to remain silent. He gave his brother a weak smile and said "I wanted to give you space but sometimes no amount of space can be enough. You know... Talking can resolve conflicts, not walking. So instead of walking in the cold why don't you come inside and we can talk."

Vincenzo looked whispered "There is no conflict here Viggo. I see nemesis. Only nemesis."

Viggo nodded "That's good. You are talking. Let's go inside. I don't want to talk to you in the freezing cold out here when there is a warm home right behind me. You love the cold. I know that. It gives you satisfaction. But ... it doesn't satisfy me to see you have separated yourself to a point you don't even want to come in and have breakfast with us."

Vincenzo said "It's too early for breakfast."

Viggo said "But you are not planning to join in. Are you? The business can wait Vincenzo. But family can't... You can't exclude yourself from this family. Just because you are taking the law into your own hands and ignore our family wishes you are still part of the family... There is conflict here Vincenzo. You thought I am referring to what's happening at our grandpa's lair. I wasn't. I am talking about our family and how we must keep together. The Irish are working hard at it to keep a strong front. They even have a convention while we are fighting amongst ourselves. You could have built bridges like how father does. It's not too late. I have no doubt you can. You are capable of anything because father taught you everything you know... So I know that you can handle anything yet you are losing sleep here. Do you want to tell me why you are standing here or am I supposed to guess. You can't be worried about what happens outside this house. You know you can handle anything. So say it. What's bothering you?"

Vincenzo said with a dismissive tone "You. You are bothering me."

Viggo gave him a serious look "You don't like it when someone reaches out to you. Clarissa offered you to go to her house and stay. You could go. But you refused. She was trying to help you. You could bring her here instead..."

Vincenzo said "That's not right. I want to take actions the right way... Her father won't approve..."

Viggo said "Of course. But let's be honest ... You didn't do this for her father. You did it for yourself. It's killing you. Isn't it? It's killing you what you have done. You feel guilt. You don't think you deserve a family or comfort from your girl. You feel responsible..."

Vincenzo said "I am responsible..."

Viggo said "You are... You have turned your back on our father..."

Vincenzo took a step towards Viggo and said harshly " I have not."

Viggo could see his brother's chest rising and falling now. His brother was offended. "You are taking this the wrong way. I know you did what you did not to defy father but you thought this was the way to do it. In the process you put our father in front of his father and you have to face our father to save our grandfather who put you in a position against our father."