29. Christmas Eve 1979 (Part 4)

Adele was in her room wiping her tears while starring at the mirror. She didnt want her husband to see her upset. It never ended well if he saw her cry. She kept no secrets from Francesco but her tears had to be kept hidden. If her children saw her like this they would say "Dad would kill us." Francesco didn't like to see her son like this.

Adele couldn't believe how much Francesco loved her. It was beyond imagination how much one man could love his woman so much. He never fell out of love even in the slightest way. She at times lost her cool and argued with him but he never lost it. He cared for her and looked at her like the way he did the first time they had met as teenage sweethearts.

Adele applied some make up to her face while pondering if she could keep it together at dinner time today while her eldest son was sitting at the same table. When she looked at Vincenzo she got more emotional that day. He was his father's son and he was becoming him. The way he stood and walked, they way he talked resembled Francesco. She wanted his son not to walk in the path of his father. She could do nothing but to watch him enter the dangerous path that she could never get used to. Why couldn't her children remain innocent?

A knock came on the door. She heard his voice "Sweetheart."

Francesco entered his bedroom and saw Adele applying make up. He closed the door and smiled. He then walked towards her. Francesco could tell something was wrong from her silence and reluctance to look at him. He stood beside the mirror and looked at Adele "Sweetheart. Are you well?"

Adele found it hard to lie to him. She made herself look occupied as she stood up putting her make up in a small bag as she whispered "I am ok. We should get back."

Francesco walked closer to her and said "There is no rush sweetheart. Is this party stressing you out?"

Adele put her make up bag in a draw and looked up at Francesco "I am not stressed. Let's go."

Francesco took her hands in his "No need to rush. Tell me sweetheart. What is on your mind right now. Maybe I need to open your mind so I can read it." He then suddenly lifted her up and carried her bridal style to bed.

Adele complained "Francesco. Now is not the time."

Francesco put her on the bed and climbed on top of her. He put his weight on his hands on either side of her on the bed as he started kissing her neck "I have missed you."

Adele chuckled "Missed me? We went to lunch today. You have seen too much of me today."

Francesco said "I have seen you yes. But I can't get enough of you my wife." He then kissed her lips gently.

Adele felt lucky. Francesco was a caring husband. He hasn't changed at all in how he treated her. Even when he had bad days in the office, he was the same to her. He was always going slow, cautious, gentle and considerate. It was also a curse and a blessing when he questioned her about how she was. He dug deep when they made out. She had no escape and he knew it.

As Adele was caged in, Francesco kissed the side of her shoulders as he whispered "Are you going to be honest with me sweetheart and tell me what is the matter or I have to question you?"

Adele trembled at hearing his question and didn't reply. Where did she start? What could she say?"

Francesco pulled away slightly and looked into her eyes. He kissed her lips gently and said "I take it you want me to question you then. Sweetheart. Why don't you just tell me what is going on?"

Adele said "I don't know anymore Francesco. Nothing is wrong but something has gone wrong in our lives. I know it. But can't explain it."

Francesco said "Let me rewind the time to see where it went wrong. We married in one December in Sicily. You must have fallen pregnant with our first born child around Christmas since Vincenzo was born in August a few weeks early. It was all good ... Then he grew up. Then his siblings came along. A pair of twins of opposite sex. We couldn't be more happier. Then what happened? Let me guess. The kids became teenagers. That took a toll on you from then onwards. Teenagers are a nuisance as I always have said. They will wise up when they turn eighteen. Raising teenagers is harder than climbing Everest, fighting bears and planning the next year's government budget."