Chapter 11 ~ The warning...

"Gaby? What happened, Gabriella? Gabriella!!"

***

After that sentence, the call was suddenly cut. Gabriella's voice was suddenly replaced by a beep noise, then a second one, then a third... With each beep the meaning of the situation her friend was in gradually sunk in Meagan.

 During the conversation Meagan had felt that something was wrong with her friend. From time to time she would abruptly stop talking, then resume as if nothing had happened. Meagan also had the feeling that Gabriella wanted to say something, but then thought against it. She even started telling her about a certain friend who was becoming paranoid about people watching her.

But there was no certain friend, Gabriella was talking about herself. And the moments of silence were to check if someone was on her tracks. Crap! What a friend I am! I should have asked what was wrong with her, she thought as she face palmed herself for her stupidity.

Then as if someone lit a light bulb, she finally put the pieces together.

Gabriella was getting abducted.

Meagan started panicking. It was the first time she had ever been in such position. Having her best friend kidnapped was not part of her routine.

Shocked was an understatement of how she felt but it was not the only emotion going through her at the moment. She also felt despair. Thoughts like What if we can't find her? What if they kill her? crossed her mind more than one time.

Then, as if she just remembered that she had a phone in her hands, she decided to call her brother and ask him for Rayne's number. After he answered, it took her a while to convince him into giving her said phone number. He kept refusing to tell her if she didn't tell him first the reason of such request. But patience is not Meagan's forte and her brother was well aware of it so in the end he gave up.

Meagan wanted to kill her brother for wasting her time. Gabriella could be dead in any moment, for crying out loud! So as soon as she got the number she muttered a quick thank you before hanging up. Then she proceeded on calling Rayne. Something told her she was doing the right thing by contacting him. He was a reliable person, plus he seemed to care about Gabriella, so he would be willing to help.

***

"Wh-what?!" Was Rayne's first reaction after Meagan had finished telling him about Gabriella. When he heard the words "danger", "Gabriella" and "abducted" in one sentence his heart literally skipped a few beats.

Rayne felt as if his world was crumbling down to pieces. Just imagining what could happen to her in the next hours made his blood boil. Some of his veins became visible, his fangs popped out from his mouth and his eyes were starting to change into a reddish color.

Just when his irises were turning  into a bright red, a flash of what he thought was going to be Gabriella's reaction to this transformation ran across his mind. He saw a disgusted face, one that rejected that wild and scaring side of him.

Instead of feeling bad about what could happen to his mate while she was captured, he was wasting his time worrying about her emotions after being saved.  But still, if she saw him like that, she would never feel in security with him. She would probably become more afraid. Rayne didn't want that. He wanted her to cry in his arms after everything was finished; he wanted her to feel at ease again.

With that in mind, he calmed himself down until he regained his human form. Then he went looking for the only one who could help him find Gabriella.

Mike

Once he found him and told him everything, Mike and Rayne took the latter's car and  made their way to G-trend, the shop where Gabriella was last seen. The car ride was quiet but that was until they became close to the shop. Mike was the first one who broke the silence.