Chapter 15 ~ One week... Part I

Seven days...

***

From the time she drank the poison she had oh-so-innocently been given by her sister, Gabriella's life was going to start a countdown in which the end would mean its extinction.

Seven days.

For Gabriella, these days were going to be the most decisive ones for her survival, yet she was as conscious as a dead fish. How ironic, isn't it?

Anyway, without further ado,  allow me to take you into the journey where you will find out what happened during that period of time.

*First day*

Tears.

Those little drops of water that fall from everyone's eyes when they face strong internal emotions. The same bipolar waterfalls you secrete either when you're extremely happy or really sad ...

In Meagan's case, they didn't hold any of those meanings. For her, they were the slap she needed to come out of the bubble she got herself into.

When Gabriella had hit the floor, unconscious, Meagan's first reaction had been to scream her  friend's name. After that, everything became blurry. Her breaths became ragged from the weight that suddenly crept into her system. She felt heavy. Unable to move.

That's when the paralyzing bubble started forming.

She didn't know how much time she spent sat in a chair, watching her best friend dying. She knew she had to do something quickly, but she couldn't. She had to scream, to look for help yet there she was, numb like a statue. Heck, a statue would be more useful than her. Or not...

One thing was sure, at that moment Meagan was in denial. She was refusing to accept that her best friend, with whom she had been chatting happily just a while ago, was now lying motionless on the ground.

After a while, something else started manifesting in her. But this time rather than emotional, it was more... physical.

At first, Meagan felt something hot in her face. Soon after, the sensation started annoying her, so she brought her hand to her cheek. A crystal clear substance greeted her when she inspected her hand. The liquid felt foreign to her. She was sure she knew what it was, yet she was eying it as if it was alien to her. Heck, she couldn't even  bring herself to form a coherent thought, let alone identify a strange fluid.

But the more she looked at it, the more she got close to decipher what it was. Once she did, her day never got to be the same again.

Tears? Meagan thought dazed What's happening?  Then, as if someone had slapped her, every nerve in her body stared responding to her again.

"Gabriella!" She shouted again. This time though, she moved. She went and kneeled beside her best friend.

Behind her was a shocked Maria. Someone had to get help. But she couldn't bring herself to leave Gabriella alone.

"Maria!" Meagan frantically yelled to get the dumbfounded bimbo' s attention.

"Oh my! Gaby!" Maria said with false concern right after she got out from the fake trance she wanted everyone think she was in. "Who did this? Why is my poor little sister on the floor?"

"Not now, Maria. We don't have the time for this. Right now we have to look for help. She- she's  not breathing! Call an ambulance!" Meagan desperately said. "Wait, we don't have the time for that either. Stay with her, I'm going to get someone to help us carry her to my car."

"No!" Maria rapidly interjected. "I'll do it. You stay here!" 

Meagan, not doubting Maria's intentions, accepted. She then took her best friend's hand in her own and started mumbling reassuring words to her. "You'll be fine, don't worry" She told her. But truth be told, those phrases were meant to comfort her more than anyone else. She felt the need to state out loud that Gabriella was going to survive. If not, she was sure she was joining her friend in the darkness in no time.