Chapter 21 ~ The beginning of a new life... Part I

"You've came back to me" He whispered as sleep finally took over him.

***

On the day she woke up, it rained. It was one hell of a long day, but before I start breaking it up to you, let's talk about what happened during the days Gabriella spent changing into a vampire while recovering from the effects of the poison.

***

The next day after Rayne completed his part of the mating process, culpability finally found its way into his system. After the sheer sensation of relief subsided, he finally started weighting the consequences of his acts. It had to happen at some point, he kept telling himself to appease his guilty conscience. But he was not stupid, he knew he was only kidding himself.

Of course it had to happen, that was not the problem. The issue was with the way he had done it. Rayne wanted Gabriella to change willingly. He wanted it to be an unforgettable memory for both of them, not only for him. He knew they still had Gabriella's part of the mating process left and surely, it was going to be as blissful as his part had been the night before.

 Normally, the mating process, when it triggers, it doesn't end until both parties completed their respective part. But since Gabriella wasn't conscious, she hadn't been able to respond to mating pull and thus, her part had still yet to be completed.

As time passed, Rayne dived even deeper into his mind in hopes to bring some order back in his crazed thoughts. He was looking for the true reason behind his uneasiness; but as much as he shoveled and dug, he'd always reach the same conclusion.

He was afraid of Gabriella's reaction.

Remember about his intuition never being wrong? Well, at that moment, it told him to pack his belongings and get the hell away from his mate as the first thing she was going to ask for after waking up surely wasn't going to be a hug.

Not at all.

Rayne wasn't used to not having things under control. He knew mad would be the understatement of the century when it'll come to Gabriella's demeanor around him, at least for the first few days. But other than that, he had no clue for his predicament. Was she going to reject him? Was she going to refuse to complete the mating process? What about Gyra? He had to have a Queen, even if it wasn't his mate. But Rayne knew that position was only available for one person.

Gabriella.

However, on an incredibly small corner of the deepest parts of his mind, Rayne couldn't help himself but to think that maybe her anger wouldn't last long.

Ha! What a joke.

Not even the most naive and unrealistic part of him believed that, yet it was there, as the only hope left for him, even as preposterous as it was. The reason was relatively simple. Gabriella was going to be welcomed into a new life pretty brutally. Everything was going to be thrown at her roughly from the time she'd open her eyes, and nobody could prevent that from happening.

Not even Rayne.

That's why at least, before turning her into a vampire, he wanted her to know what would be awaiting for her next. That way, she wouldn't be so scared and confused. But that all went straight to the trashcan the moment she was fed the poison. It seemed like he was asking for too much since not only she was going to freak out, but because of the obvious anger she was going to display, there was quite a big chance she would not want to be near him and be comforted by him while recovering.

But still, Rayne was determined to stay next to her, especially when she'd wake up. He couldn't fathom his mate going through the loss of one of her five senses alone. Even if it was temporary.