Chapter 19 ~ One week... Part IV

"Just wake up and I'll never do it again. I'll always tell you everything, I promise. Just open your beautiful eyes and let me breath again." He told her with a loving yet tired voice right before sleep took over him.

***

*Fifth day*

A bad decision.

That was exactly the way to describe the first thing Rayne did right after he woke up that morning. The night before he had successfully identified the poison Gabriella was given. After that, he spent a bunch of time planning everything with Mike. The outcome was that they were going to meet that evening. So if everything goes well, he'd have his mate back by nighttime.

Excitement, happiness and a lot of more emotions were caused by this incredibly awaited information. It was natural for Rayne's body and mind, which have been consumed entirely the by negative and depressing thoughts for the past few days, to shut down for a brief time.

During that short period of time, Rayne's perception of the world changed drastically. He somehow started to rebuild his wall of optimism he thought was beyond repair.  His former one had started crushing down into pieces the moment he found out what happened to his mate.

For the first time in what seemed like an eternity Rayne was slowly regaining the hope he thought he stopped believing into.

But somehow, in between all the mending and healing Rayne was going through, a sudden idea popped inside his brain. Maybe it was because he was in a temporary shutdown to consider the consequences that his actions were going to bring, but at that moment it seemed like a bright idea.

Gabriella's screams weren't heard for a solid two hours so he considered her condition  being stable. With that in mind, Rayne oh-so-brilliantly decided to give her a bath for the first time since she lost consciousness. With her frequent fits Gabriella had sweat a lot during the last five days. Rayne thought it would be a good idea to have her properly cleaned before she woke up.

Now a hour and a half later he wished he had stuck with the wet towel method he's been using for the past few days. Why? You'd ask. Well, let me tell you  in detail how the bath scene went from a good idea to a catastrophe.

***

"Here we go." Rayne cheerfully said as he picked Gabriella up from his bed. Once they got into the bathroom, realization of what he had to do in order to give her a bath hit him hard.

He had to undress her.

"Well, if I cover my eyes and use my powers I can do it without seeing anything, no?" He told himself, as he tried to calm his growing nerves. With great effort he took a last glance at his little mate before closing his eyes. Then he made the gravity surrounding her weaker. That way she could float in the air as if she was weightless. Now that he had his two hands free, Rayne gulped hard and took hold of the hem of her shirt in an attempt to take it off.

Well, that was much easier said than done...

Time passed and Rayne who had ruthlessly fed from countless preys, who had bravely fought in innumerable fights and caught endless criminals to provide peace and justice to his people, the same indestructible Rayne who was now the Vampire King was still struggling to take a mere piece of clothing off of his mate.

"Urgh!" He cried in frustration as he realized that in order to control his urges, the only option left was to blindfold himself.

And that's exactly what he did.

However, the way he did it was considerably rudimental. Instead of looking for a handkerchief he opted for taking his shirt off and covering all his head with it. It was pretty ridiculous sight to see and he knew it. But to his defense, Gabriella could have a fit anytime so he had to be quick. On top of that, he was alone so it didn't matter. Now that there was one less problem, Rayne had to face the real issue.