Chapter 24 ~ Moving on... Part I

"I know" he said feeling the strong emotion coming from her. "And I love you too, Gaby." He said before they both fell asleep in each other's arms, finally finding where they truly belonged.

***

Since the day Gabriella got her hearing back, her life seemed to turn upside down. Everything she believed in turned out to be as true as Hitler being a Saint. At first she tried to hide how much the change terrified her from Rayne. But after some time she dropped her act as she realized how futile it was. He could read her mind and emotions like an open book.

Headaches, nauseas, constant tiredness and hunger were the only things her system was able to manifest during the first few days. Rayne kept on assuring her that it was normal to feel that way. In fact she seemed to be recovering fast, much to his surprise.

As expected, Gabriella was still bedridden while all of this was happening. Whenever she attempted to stand up, her derrière seemed to collide with the floor- and if she was lucky enough, the mattress- as if it was attracted to it. Eventually, after a few tries she finally came in terms with the obvious.

She was still weak.

Everything was new and odd for her. She could feel the aftermath of the abysmal change that her body had gone through. Heck, sometimes she could sense that something was new to her body. Something that went beyond the five senses she knew were akin to the human race. New emotions she didn't think her system was able to produce surprised her at the most unexpected of times. Well, she had to admit, they seemed to show up mostly when Rayne was around.

These new emotions were more raw and primal. As if everything she knew up to that point seemed to ascent to the next level. The reality was still the same yet her perception was rediscovering it, more profoundly this time. More than a few were the times Gabriella found herself staring at some minuscule detail as if it was the most fascinating thing on Earth, or whatever place this Gyra was, anyway.

Speaking of Gyra, the place seemed to follow the rules of nature she as accustomed to. The periodicity of the events she knew of were one of the few things keeping her mental sanity close to intact. Sometimes rain would pour, only to be followed by a bright sunny sky.  Night seemed to follow the morning in a span of twenty four hours, according to the clock on the nightstand.

The first time Gabriella saw the clock she wondered whether it was a souvenir Rayne brought from Earth, or the human dimension, or whatever she was supposed to call it now. But then she noticed that the twelve numbers on the circle went from zero to eleven, instead of the mainstream one to twelve. Also, there was a beautiful yet eccentric pattern inscribed inside the clock. The shape seemed to have life. It moved by each passing second. No, more than simple movement, it seemed like the essence of time was dancing inside the mesmerizing pattern.

Gabriella first reckoned that it followed the rhythm of time, but after some deliberation she came to the realization that it was the other way around. The pattern controlled the clock's motion. Each pulsation corresponded to a passing second.

Magic, she concluded.

Somehow she could understand where the jealousy felt by the humans who resided in Gyra came from. They were surrounded by an unreachable force, one they couldn't reach. They couldn't feel it, the only way they were able to know about it was because they could see what it did to those who were able to use it.

Humans probably felt like nature's anomaly. They sought the impossible. Magic was not meant for their system and they knew it. The fact obviously only fueled the feelings of hate and jealousy. War was inevitable.

When Rayne had told her about the time where humans were considered Gyranians, she felt repelled  by their egoism and thirst of power. But now, looking at that clock, she felt for the first time magic doing its work as part of a quotidian task. As she was new to being a vampire, that moment was the first time she became aware of the magic surrounding her, and it did wonders to her system.