Chapter 23 ~ The beginning of a new life... Part III

For that specific day, Rayne was done communicating with her. But before he exited the room, he made sure to write one last sentence.

I'm sorry... I love you. It said.

***

Throughout the following days, Rayne made sure to leave one or two sentences whenever he brought Gabriella's tray of food. Before leaving, he always made sure to end with the same phrase he did the first time he talked to her through the window. He wanted her to always know that she was the most precious person for him.

Rayne also kept on visiting his mate every night to feed her the blood she needed in order to survive. If only she knew how she sighted with contentment every time he brought the delectable beverage to her lips, how she frowned in her sleep when she'd end the cup she was fed...

***

Finally the day Gabriella was going to get her hearing back arrived. Fifteen days had passed and Gabriella was still on her silent mode. Don't get her wrong, she had tried to talk to him before, but she always ended up chickening out. What if he turned me out of selfishness? Was the question holding her back the most.

However, that day Rayne broke his newfound routine by modifying the last sentence of his speech. This time it said, I'm sorry, but I had to. I love you.

Gabriella couldn't believe her eyes. She was shocked to say the least. He had a reason for turning her yet he still felt guilty. Why? Is his reason not strong enough? Confused and lost, there was only one thing clear for Gabriella.

She couldn't delay the confrontation any longer.

Today's the day, she thought, determined not to chicken out this time.

It was almost time for dinner and Gabriella had everything prepared. She had preferred holding the conversation at night, it was more convenient. Or at least that's what she told herself. But truth be told, during the two previous times Rayne showed up, Gabriella always seemed to find something more urgent to take care of.

During breakfast she was brushing her teeth from her nonexistent morning breath, and during lunch she went for a quick shower. Of course, both were emergencies, and postponing them wasn't an option...

In the end, there she was, waiting for the dinner she'll probably won't end up eating.

"Rayne, I'm ready to hear you out." She said while pacing out. "No, too direct."

"Rayne, you want to tell me something, no?" She slapped herself "What a dump approach, you want to tell me something?' She mimicked herself using a stupid kind of tone.

This is hard. She told herself. Was she going to accept everything and live in this new world with him? Even if it didn't sound bad, Gabriella still had a life back in the human world. Plus what if they had some weird traditions involving the sacrifice of a maiden, for example?

Vampires were barbaric, no? She asked herself when suddenly an agonizing sound clouded her senses. Wh- what's happening? She thought, overwhelmed as she closed her eyes, in hopes to block the noise from entering her mind.

"Rayne!" was the first thing she shouted, out of pure instinct.

The person in question appeared in a matter of seconds, probably using his inhuman speed, she supposed. Instantaneously after she saw him entering the room from her peripheral vision, Gabriella was already wrapped in those warm arms she longed so much for.

"Rayne, make it stop." She pleaded as she held into him as if her life depended on it. Then she let out another scream as the sound intensified by each passing second.