Chapter 13 ~ The real me...

"I'm in love with you"

***

"Wh- you..." Gabriella's words died in her mouth as soon as they came out. Rayne's gaze was so intense, it made her unable to utter a coherent sentence. After some time, she stopped fighting herself to say something. Instead  she returned  his stare with all the passion she could muster.

Slowly, they started getting closer until their foreheads  touched. Their lips were only a few inches apart and, like their breaths, they were becoming one.  Where they  seconds, minutes or even hours that passed since the last time one of them spoke?

 Nobody knew and nobody cared.

They were in each other's arms and it was all that mattered. Rayne's left hand was still touching Gabriella's cheek while his right was on her back, tracing patterns on it, successfully making the position they were in more intimate.  While all of that was happening, Gabriella's hands were tightening their hold on Rayne's neck.

Now enough describing the scenery, I think you've got the idea. Let's talk about what was going  inside of them at that moment.

To put it simply, they felt alive.

Their heartbeats were hammering inside their ribcages, the weather seemed too hot for a winter day. Scratch that, it felt even hotter than a summer day. Their surroundings also felt different. Gabriella could sense it. The air was changing, it was becoming fresher...

But that moment couldn't last forever, could it? Well, it didn't. Rayne was the first one to break the silence. But he didn't distance himself from her, no. He brought even closer, if that was possible, and said with a rather angry and disappointed tone.

"Your sister is coming."

Gabriella was still in a trance. All the fireworks, butterflies, dragons or whatever she had in her stomach at that moment made her unable to form a coherent thought, let alone come up with a correct sentence. So her bright response was a sound that resembled an owl's hooting, a penguin's honking and a question mark mixed together.

It was weird to say the least.

Rayne decided to ignore the little sound, which he found cute by the way, and proceeded with his question. "What about disappearing before she reaches us?" He asked with a smile.

Gabriella was confused. How could he know that Maria is coming?  She mused, still in her trance. But her thoughts were quickly diverted to her house's door, which was a few meters away, when her sister came out from it. How he did it is beyond me, but it wouldn't hurt to be away from Maria's nagging for a moment, she thought, not wanting to admit that the reason she was going to accept his request was because she was dying to be with him alone.

Either was the reason, Gabriella wanted to go but she still didn't trust her speaking abilities, so to let Rayne know her answer, she just smiled.

Rayne seemed to get the message because as soon as the grin appeared on her features, he took her hand in his and started dragging her to his car. Once there, the two could hear Maria's shouting. She was demanding them to return. It was very comic to see the mix between flirting and begging in her tone when she directed her words to Rayne, and the witch-like intonation she used with Gabriella.

Nevertheless, none of them stopped.  Maria was beyond furious, she wasn't about to forget how they ignored her like a mere fly.  Gabriella knew her sister wouldn't forget it, heck, she was going to beat the living daylights out of her, but she didn't care. She was still grinning like an idiot, but not because she escaped from her sister, no. It was simply because of the man who was sitting beside her.