Chapter Twenty Two ~ Blow-Ups and Baboon Butts

Rose

I land my broom immediately after Madame Hooch blows the whistle. My straight hair has almost completely fallen out of my ponytail and hangs over the sides of my face. I'm gripping my broomstick so tightly my knuckles turn white. I march directly towards the change room and have reached the door before the rest of the team have touched the ground. As soon I reach the room I take a seat on one of the benches and put my head in my hands. After about a minute the rest of the team begins to file into the room and begin bustling around, removing their equipment. I stay where I am, reviewing the game in my head. I can feel my blood boiling.

How the hell did we lose that?

"Don't be sad Rose." Says Stratton, in what he assumes to be a soothing tone. I take my head out of my hands and look at him. His comforting smile faltering under the cold stare I give him.

"Sad?" I state. "Oh, I'm not sad." I say with a laugh. Stratton smiles back at me again.

How the hell did we lose?

"I am furious!" I shout, and Stratton practically falls backwards onto the bench. I get to my feet and move towards the centre of the room, towards Stratton. I voice the thought that's running through my mind. "How in the name of Merlin, did we lose that game? Do you know Jeremy? Because I sure don't. I don't understand how we can lose a game when we're up by one hundred and forty points. But that's just my opinion. Do you have any ideas?"

"I-uh-I." He stutters.

"No?" I demand before turning to Aaron. "What about you? D'you know why we lost?"

"No." He mumbles.

"Hmm." I nod. "Well if we all don't know what happened then I wonder why we aren't currently celebrating our victory. I just don't understand how we could screw that game up." I run a hand threw my hair.

"Rose," Roger starts. "Calm down, you played a great game."

"I know I played a great game." I say, accentuating the first word and pointing manically to my chest. "I scored fourteen bloody goals today. I know it's not my fault we lost. It's yours." I say turning to Montgomery.

"My fault?" He exclaims.

"Yes, you twat, it is most definitely your fault. You have one job in the entire stupid game. You don't need to worry about scoring points, you don't need to worry about formations and defence and shooting. All you need to do is chase a damn snitch."

"I need to ca..." He starts.

"Did I say I was finished?" I spit at him. "What were you doing for two hours? Watching the real players do their jobs? Because you were as much help as a tea cozy on that pitch. I practically gift-wrapped that game for you. A one hundred and forty point lead. All you needed to do was locate a fucking flying gold ball. If you weren't just a stand-in I'd kick you off the team right now."

"You're not even the captain." He says.

I take a step closer to him. "I happen to be dating him, don't I? Even if I wasn't, no person in their right mind would keep you on this team."

"You can't just kick me off the team for playing one bad game. Besides you can't say it wasn't your fault that we lost. If you would have scored two more goals it wouldn't have mattered if I caught the snitch."

I let out a shout of laughter that echoes throughout the room. "Do you even hear yourself? Your basically saying we wouldn't have needed you. If you hadn't been there we would have won. Christ kid, you're making kicking you off the team sound more and more appealing."