Chapter Twenty Four ~ Abort Mission

Rose

I need to break up with Roger.

That's my first thought as I wake up on Saturday morning. I spent the entirety of last night deciding the best way to do it. I've been trying to bring myself to do it for weeks now and I've decided that today is the day. I quickly get up and get dressed before heading down to breakfast in the Great Hall. Ella and Piper are still asleep so I bring my charms homework with me in hopes of getting a head start on it. That didn't happen.

"Rosie!" Says a voice from behind me when I'm about halfway through my first piece of toast. George slides into the seat beside me, picks up my other piece of toast and takes a bite. "Fancy a walk 'round the castle?"

I really shouldn't. I should start my charms homework. Plus, going on a walk with another guy isn't being the best girlfriend. But then again, I'm breaking up with him today anyway. So maybe going on a walk with George will give him the hint that our time together is coming to a close. So when you think about it, I'm actually being a good girlfriend by going with George. Right?

"Love to." I say getting up from my seat and picking up a napkin.

"What are you doing?" George asks as I start picking up bacon.

"I haven't had time to finish my breakfast since you so rudely interrupted. I'm not going to starve on this walk." I say.

"Rudely Interrupted?" George says in mock offense. "I asked you to go on a walk not to jump off the astronomy tower."

"To each his own." I say with a shrug. He laughs and we start walking towards the Entrance Hall.

****

"What are your other brothers like?" I ask George as I finish the last of my breakfast.

"What do you mean?"

"Are they all boring like Percy, funny like you and Fred, been attacked by a murderer like Ron? You know, the basic stuff."

"Ah, I see. Well, Charlie is in Romania studying dragons and Bill works for Gringotts. Charlie played seeker for Gryffindor, he was really good, like really good. He was Quidditch captain at school. Bill was Head Boy, but he wasn't a prat. Not like Percy at least. They're both pretty cool I guess."

"Wow." I say.

"Yeah I know, people always think the whole 'Dragon Tamer' thing is amazing but honestly I don't even know what he does over there."

"I wasn't saying 'wow' because I thought Dragon Tamer would look good on my resume, although that would be helpful. I said it because that was probably the most basic, boring, downgrading description of I've ever heard." I say with a small laugh.

"What?"

"I was expecting a bit more enthusiasm. Some crazy story about a time when you and Bill snuck into a 'Weird Sisters' concert or something. I want the good stuff. Not the stuff I could find on his public record." George raises his eyebrows at me.

"It was a 'Hobgoblins' concert, actually." I gasp.

"You actually snuck in?"

"If you're going to try to get me to divulge my deepest, darkest secrets then at least get your facts straight."

"Haha, very funny. Now, how did you get in?"

****

"Hey Roger." I say sliding into the empty seat across from him in the library. "Thanks for meeting me here. I wanted to talk to you about something." I've planned this whole conversation out preemptively and things seem to be going right on schedule.