Chapter Sixteen-JUST FRIENDS

"Where is it that you're taking me?" Dayanna asked as she walked closely beside Kylo, eyeing the surrounding water and greenery.

"Sarini Island. I thought you might like it." Kylo said, guiding her along before they approached what looked like a sort of zoo.

"What is this..." She lowly spoke, seeing animals that children were petting and playing with. "Is this a... petting zoo?"

"It's a zoo, but there is a pettting zoo." Kylo said, a small shriek leaving Dayanna's lips as she instantly jumped in front of him.

"You brought me to a zoo! Oh, thank you!" She clapped before rushing off, Kylo standing there and blinking. He didn't think she'd like it so much... yet, there she was, amongst children and animals.

It was a sight to see, the way Dayanna's face had lit up every time a different animal went up to her. They way she smiled from ear to ear with pure joy in her heart. The way she gasped each time she saw a baby animal. Kylo's heart had never felt so heavy in his chest before just by the simplest of things.

"Kylo, come! Come!" She waved as he shook his head, but Dayanna stood up and dragged him over. "Look how precious! Look how cute! Aw, look at them!" She pointed as she held his arm, gasping every moment her eyes landed on an animal. "Oh, look at that one! Aw, Kylo, you have to hold it!"

"No."

"Oh, stop being so brooding, you're free! No one around here is to tell you you can't have a soul or a heart for these things." Dayanna shook her head before letting him go, reaching over for the small animal and carefully picking it up. "Look how cute..." She pouted as she batted her lashes, picking the small creature up. "Hold it, come on." Dayanna begged but Kylo groaned. "Pleeease..."

Sighing, Kylo rolled his eyes before reaching over and nearly snatching the animal. His gloveless hands coming into contact with that of the animals fur, fingers unintentionally running through. "Happy?"

"Yes!" Dayanna jumped, holding her cheeks. "This'll never happen again so I'm cherishing this."

Throughout the time of them being in the petting zoo, Kylo had not once let down the creature. At first, he seemed annoyed, not wanting to touch any of the animals, but after an hour or so of holding it and having it fall asleep in his arms... he couldn't seem to let go.

Grinning at the sight of Kylo from afar, Dayanna walked back over to him. "You can put it down, now."

"No!" Kylo nearly snapped as Dayanna's eyebrows lifted, a laugh leaving her lips. "Right..." Crouching down, Kylo put the animal down before standing back up.

"You enjoyed it, didn't you?" Dayanna asked with a teasing grin.

"Sadly." Reaching over to grab his arm, Dayanna pulled him with her towards the rest of the zoo, walking the entire time besides Kylo and holding onto him. Although not as excited as before, she still was happy.

"Aw, how lovely." Hearing a woman from behind speak up, Dayanna looked over. "How sweet of your man to bring you here."

Instantly blushing, Kylo's eyes grew in size—although with his back facing the woman—he still heard. Holding in a laugh, Dayanna smiled. "It was very last minute, but it's quite the sight to see."

"Oh, you're telling me! I never see couples come here. Usually families or friends. It's always nice to see a happy pair enjoy the zoo." The woman smiled as Kylo's heart began to race. Why did they think he was in a relationship with Dayanna?

"Oh, uh, we're just friends." Dayanna corrected, feeling Kylo tense up beside her. "He brought me here to keep my mind at ease. A busy life, I can't overwork myself."

"Friends? My apologies... you two seem like more." She nodded. "But, I'm glad either way. You two seem close." The woman gestured as Dayanna now had her hand in his. She was just about ready to pull away but that'd make things worse.

"He-he is my... best friend." Dayanna nodded.

"Well, you two enjoy the zoo." The woman smiled. "Just friends." At that, she walked away, Kylo still staring ahead as Dayanna watched the woman leave.

Turning her head back ahead, she let out a small breath, only to look down at their interlocked hands. Just about to let go, Kylo only tightened his grip. Looking back up at him, he turned his head and began to walk to another habitat as Dayanna quietly followed.

For the rest of the afternoon it had been like this, hand in hand, walking from habitat to habitat. When it came time to eating, the two sat in silence. A comfortable one. But it was still quiet. "Thank you for today, Kylo. It was wonderful." Dayanna thanked as the two were now back on the balcony, watching the sun set and seeing the sky fill with stars.

"Yeah..." He nodded, Dayanna standing up and leaning over to him.

"You never cease to surprise me." Pressing a kiss to his cheek, Dayanna turned and walked away, back into the temporary home.

"And neither do you..." Taking in a deep breath, he sighed as he slouched in his seat, "Princess."