one

"a million smiles cover your heart"

richie lights his cigarette as soon as the cool breeze hits his face, his brain becoming a whirlpool of stress. the chemicals slowly clouding his lungs, he feels somewhat relieved. leaning on the stone-built school with eyes watching the birds that rest in the trees, his thoughts are filled with anger and frustration.

"this day is such a fucking pain." he mutters to himself, taking a long drag from the cigarette. the front doors abruptly open, startling the lanky teenager. richie looks to see a girl, around his age, running out. he gets a quick view of the tears streaming down her face before she trips on her own two feet, meeting the concrete below her. richie discards of the cigarette quickly, running to her side.

"are you okay?" he asks, helping the girl up. she gives no response except a small nod. blood drips from her bruised knees which causes richie to wince at the sight, "dude, you're bleeding." she tries speaking yet nothing comes out of her mouth. richie furrows his eyebrows, "do you have a sore throat because i have cough drops in my locker if you need some."

before she can do anything, he shrugs it off as soon as he sees the blood soaking her white socks. "you know what, we can discuss that later. i'm going to take you to the nurse, is that okay with you?"

the girl is hesitant at first but eventually nods in agreement. her glasses slid off the bridge of her nose and richie quickly pushes them back up before they fall. "hate when that happens."

the girl's cheeks flush with a pink hue, richie smiles.