ten

"send this smile over to you"

richie ends up staying over at vanessa's home for their hang out session. the two sit in her pastel pink room, the smashing pumpkins lowly plays from vanessa's small vinyl player. richie talks, she listens and answers through writing. vanessa's father would often walk in to check up on them, offering them snacks.

"your dad is adorable." richie tells vanessa, laying down beside her. she looks down at him and plays with the sprawled curls of his hair. richie gazes at the glow-in-the-dark stars that stuck to the ceiling, he's bothered that they weren't fully glowing due to the lack of darkness. "lay beside me." richie cooes softly.

vanessa hesitates, shaking her head. richie's lips form a pout, "i don't have cooties, i swear!" vanessa playfully rolls her eyes and settles down next to him, richie feels like his heart might explode. they lay in silence, nerves getting the best of both of them it seems.

"i'm still sorry for friday, i don't think it was right of me to be that angry especially next to you." richie clarifies. "just don't mind stan and whatever comes out of his mouth if it's about me?" richie looks over at vanessa, she shoots him a thumbs up. his breathing hitches when he notices how close they are to each other.

"can i ask you something?" richie's eyes dart to her lips before looking back at her eyes, she nods once again. "do you like stan?" vanessa immediately shakes her head, seeming to be annoyed at the question. she sits up and reaches over for her notepad. she writes down quickly, handing it to richie.

why would you think that?

"you two got really close, really fast. i just assumed you liked him." richie speaks carefully, hoping not to upset her. she jots down her answer on paper again, sneaking a glance at richie.

we were already sorta friends before i met you     i see him as a brother!

"i see. well, do you like anybody?" vanessa nods, opting not to write it down. richie watches as she crawls towards the vinyl player to turn the volume up when disarm plays. he can't help be in awe as she sways her head back and forth.