eleven

"tell me more, did you get very far"

the group had hung out everyday that week. however, richie and vanessa would occasionally ditch them on some days to hang out together. the group takes notice of this, "are you two fucking around or something?" richie chokes out his water when stan's question comes up. vanessa frantically pats richie on the back to help him breathe.

"what the fuck, stanley. no, we're not!" richie exclaims in defense. "then why did you two ditch us last week without explanation?" eddie adds, squinting his eyes at the pair. vanessa opens her mouth but closes it when richie talks for both of them, "we hung out, we wanted to be alone. case closed."

stanley rolls his eyes, deciding to let the topic go. however, eddie didn't and only pushes further, "oh bullshit, you don't just hang out with a girl as pretty as vanessa. what's your plan, richie?"

"eddie, l-let it go." bill tries to get eddie to stop, not wanting an argument to break out. vanessa tugs desperately at richie's sleeve as a way to get his attention, he looks at her briefly. "ignore him." she mouths to richie. "gimme a sec." he tells her.

"i can be friends with a girl, idiot. i suggest you stop assuming shit or else i'll tell your mom that you've been sneaking boys in your room on the weekends." richie threatens coldly. although richie would never stoop that low and betray his friend, eddie didn't know that.

eddie doesn't argue back, opting to sit in defeat and sipping his milk. "you sneak boys in your room?" ben asks eddie, surprised. "i thought you only snuck girls in."

richie turns his attention to vanessa, who slowly bites at her apple. his face softens. "you doing good, chatterbox?" richie nudges the girl, she nods. the rest of lunch consists of awkward banter but for the most part, silence. vanessa scribbles on her notepad and slides it towards richie.

thank you