twenty five

"every step you take, i'll be watching you"

the hardest part of suggesting a date was actually planning the date. even though the idea is to go to the quarry, they need something to do other than swimming. his mother's suggestions were anything but fun. "no one wants to go cloud watching, mom. that's lame." he mumbles once his mother leaves his room.

with crumpled up papers filling the trashcan and too many broken pencils, he decides to go with his last resort; asking his father. richie barges into the tool shed to find his father eating take-out. his father displays a shocking look and quickly says, "don't tell your mother." "her casserole was gross, your secret is safe with me but only if you help me out." richie promises, patting his father's shoulder.

the man gulps down the food, turning to his son. "i'm all ears." "give me ideas on what to do on my date, we're going to the quarry." richie takes a quick bite of his father's fried rice, humming in delight.

his father ponders, nose scrunching in thought. richie notices him gazing at the fishing rods resting against the wall. "do NOT say fishing. i will stab my eye with a hook." richie warns, richie's father sighs. "ask your mom to pack a picnic and you can take my stereo so you two can dance a little. that's all i really have." his father shrugs, turning back to his meal.

richie snaps his fingers, "that's actually great. thanks, old man." his father nods in response before richie leaves the shed. once he gets back inside his home, he makes his way to the phone mounted on the wall. richie dials vanessa's number, twirling the phone cord around his finger as the line begins to ring.

the line rings forever until it goes straight to voicemail which was off, vanessa's mother always picks up. he ultimately tries again but after six calls, they all end with a voicemail. richie slams the phone back in place and grab his keys off the rack, "going to vanessa's!" "be back before midnight!" his mother exclaims from the living room. richie jogs to his vehicle, turning the engine on, and speeds off to vanessa's home.

a sour taste sits in his mouth once he arrives, the house looks almost abandoned. an eerie energy omitting from it. "what the fuck." richie says to himself in disbelief. he knocks frantically on the front door until his knuckles are crimson. "where are they?" he mutters, peering through the window, not being able to see a single thing due to the darkness looming in the room.

richie takes a step back, feeling dizzy. "am i fucking crazy?