five

"it's friday, i'm in love"

richie drives to the pharmacy to buy another pack of cigarettes, his pack from two weeks ago already done and he's impatient to get another. entering the store, he's greeted by mr. keene, "here for more cigarettes, richie?"

"yeah, get me the usual." richie tells him, fiddling with his fingers as mr. keene goes to retrieve a new pack for him. he waits in the dimly lit area, looking around and spotting a familiar brunette in the medicine aisle. "hey, chatterbox." richie grins at vanessa, she turns her head quickly to look at him. she smiles softly at him.

"what do you got there?" he asks, observing the various amount of medication bottles in her hands. she opens her mouth to speak but was quick to close it. she shrugs as if saying, "nothing."

she jerks her head at him, raising an eyebrow, "me? i'm just buying another pack of cigs." she frowns, shaking her head disappointingly. "oh don't worry, honey. it's gonna take alot more than a bunch of sticks to kill me."

vanessa rolls her eyes playfully, happy that richie seemed to answer what was on her mind. "i got your pack, richie!" mr. keene calls out. richie looks back at him then at vanessa, "are you done shopping?" she nods. "i'll pay."

vanessa shakes her head in disagreement but richie is persistent on paying. "you're gonna have to get used to it." richie smirks, grabbing the items from vanessa's hands and going to the counter. "ring these up too."

"oh shit, i totally forgot. the dudes and i are going to the movies at seven. do you want to come?" richie asks vanessa, hoping she'll agree. vanessa looks at him surprised. her eyes search his face for something he can't pinpoint before nodding.

richie claps. "great! can i pick you up or are you gonna break my heart and reject me again?" he teases, vanessa's shoulders start shaking slightly. she's laughing even though he, or anybody really, couldn't hear it.