Chapter 36

Chapter Thirty Six

Zoey's POV

My feet are carrying me down the busy London sidewalks faster than I probably have ever walked before. A single streak of lighting flashes through the sky, illuminating the dark streets. The buildings surrounding me light up momentarily due to the flash in the sky before everything is dark again.

I don't start crying until about 10 minutes of walking. At first my own tears surprise me, but then I just let them fall weakly. I'm weak, still, even after all of this time.

The rain comes next. My life seems to amount to some cheesy romantic comedy as it starts pouring horrendously, the wind picking up and whipping my hair around. After I fight with it to get it out of my face, I yank the hood of my jacket up and zip it up as far as it can go.

I don't know how long I walk. I just walk until the pouring rain finally gives up, and turns into light drizzle. I walk until the thunder and lightning calm down, until everyone around me on the sidewalk is gone and I'm the only one left. I walk until Niall leaves my mind and the pains in my chest stop. And finally, I walk until I'm front and centre at Harry's apartment building. I stare at the rundown place hesitantly, wondering why the hell I even came here. Was I going to confront him about everything Niall said? Not like it was any of my business regardless. He doesn't want me, he's moved on. We've both moved on.

I sigh, pushing my hood off and stepping into the lobby of the building. The same receptionist is sitting behind the desk, his eyes on me immediately. I feel uncomfortable, but I push down my anxiety and walk towards the stairs. Just as my hand clasps around the bar to push it open, someone's voice speaks up behind me.

"He's gone, sweetheart"

I gulp, slowly turning around to face him. It's the receptionist, now leaning against the front of the desk with a toothpick in his hand; picking at his mouth.

"What do you mean?" I ask, even though I should be getting the hell out of here right now.

He smiles a sickly, crooked smile and clears his throat.

"I mean, he's gone. Took off, payed his last months rent two weeks ago."

My eyes sting with tears once again and I wipe furiously at them, looking down at the stained carpet beneath my soaking wet boots. Harry's gone. He left.

"Okay, thank you." I reply as calmly as I can and walk away. I hear him chuckle behind me but that's the last noise I hear before I'm back in the rain again. If anyone saw me, hopefully they wouldn't be able to see just how badly I was crying due to the once again heavy downpour of rain.

I couldn't believe Harry left. I didn't know where he was now, Louis' party was over two weeks ago and I hadn't seen or heard about Harry since then so I assumed he was really gone.

He probably left town, maybe with a woman or to go to a woman.

I don't know why this was hurting me so badly but it was, I felt like I had been crushed like a tiny insect. I felt like my heart had been ripped from my chest and stomped on. Broken is the only way for me to describe myself right now. It was finding out Harry cheated on me all over again. I was reliving our entire breakup right now, with the way I felt.

It takes me around 20 minutes to walk back to Louis and I's flat, the rain not slowing one bit. By the time I get there I'm completely drenched from head to toe, shivering and shaking as I unlock the door. His flat is dark and silent, and I'm thankful for the fact that Louis and Marissa are out somewhere.

I make it into my bedroom quickly, locking the door behind me. Stripping out of my drenched clothes, I tie my hair up and change into warm sweats and a jumper. I felt so....lost.