44: The Hidden Story

[A/N]: Might want to listen to music as you read. :)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I didn't know where else to go. If I stay in the living room, I'll see Kai. If I stay in our room, I'll still see Kai. Plus Tao. God, I can't even imagine how awkward that would be. Even though Kai said he wouldn't tell Tao about it, to avoid any more death glares and scary outbursts, I still couldn't shake off this guilt I feel in my chest.

Anyway, here I am, sitting in Sehun and Baekhyun's room, looking more distressed than ever.

"So Maeji... are you going to tell us now what's the problem?" My lost gaze shifted to Sehun, making him freeze.

"Is there something the Hellion Brothers aren't telling me about?"

They glanced at each other, taken aback by my question. Baekhyun hesitantly inched closer, as if afraid that I'll bite his head off if he makes a wrong move. "We're not really sure what you're talking about, Maeji..."

"Other than me, have you ever been close to a girl?"

"Oh, that..." Sehun mumbled and avoided my narrowed eyes. Baekhyun cleared his throat.

"Well, that one was from almost 2 years ago, and the ending wasn't really that happy so..."

I want to hear about it." I threw my chin up, pretending to be confident though deep inside, I wasn't. It's like forcing myself to enter a very dark place without any knowledge of where I'm going, or if there is even a way out. Despite of that, I needed to know why Gwen didn't want to be my friend in the beginning. Why she was so afraid of the Hellion Brothers, and why Kai despised her so much.

"She started off just like you at first," Baekhyun started with uncertainty in his eyes, but I gave him a steady stare, urging him to go on. "Shy, quiet, and living in peace. But then one day, there was an accident."

He started fiddling with the blanket, uneasy. "Chanyeol and I were playing around by the stairs. When I pushed Chanyeol, she happened to pass by. He bumped into her and then... she fell down the stairs."

He bit his lip, and I could see the guilt reflected on his face. "She was bleeding on the head. Badly. So Lay had to heal her. When she woke up, we just told her she just went unconscious. Out of guilt, Chanyeol and I tried to befriend her, but she turned out to be fun to be with and really smart and down to earth, so we all grew to like her. Just like you." He softly smiled and reached out to ruffle my hair.

Things are starting to make sense. What Chen said when he invited me to lunch...

"It's been a while since we hung out with someone else."

And when nurse Min mended my cheek in the clinic...

"It's rare for him to come with a girl. He's usually with his boys."

All the clues were laid out right in front of my eyes, yet I failed to notice them.

"Maeji... are you ok?" I was snapped back into reality when Baekhyun reached out to touch my creased forehead. I flinched back and gently pulled away his wrist.

"Did she... find out about your abilities?"

"When she heard from the other students that her head actually bled. She demanded to know what really happened. We thought she deserved to know at that point, so yeah..."