Chapter 4: The Church

Eliza dragged me away back to the maze of halls that had yet to be decked.

"I was​ showing off over there," I told Eliza, but she ignored me.

"We must get going master," she emphasized, leading me on towards an uncharted location throughout the labyrinth.

We arrived at a doorway leading outside. I had sworn I had passed through there but didn't see it.

Outside was a smallish building, compared to the castle. It had the height of about 3 stories, painted white all over, just like just about everything else. It had white stained glass on the front and it had a giant star on top of the church.

The church and the castle were parallel, branches of the same road.

We approached the door, like everything else I had seen before, it was white painted wood with an interesting carved pattern on it.

Upon opening the door, it led me to the expected yet unexpected at the same time. White everything, as expected, a statue of a goddess standing behind the sermon pedestal, which was made of oak and the statue was made of white marble. Classic choice whoever made that.

Plants were sitting in the corners, and oak benches for the believers to sit on. A pane of colored light blue glass allowing the blue light to cover the statue, leaving a holy looking aura. Speaking of which, glass panes were depicting the heroes fighting the strongest of monsters, such as the {Dragon} and {Demon} races.

According to 'The Bible' that I read in a few hours, the goddess was named Pulara, goddess of light. The so-called god from this world.

Leaving the humans to fight for themselves and blessing them only when absolutely necessary, it's more or less a great description of a lazy god. Then to be even praised and to be worshiped is only a miracle which ... she ... does.

Anyway, according to the thick book on supposed history, all races except humans must be discriminated against because they were made by Dalius, the god of darkness.

I mean totally mess with elves that have better magic, dwarves that make better blacksmiths than a human could ever wish for, the stronger beast, and don't forget the faries. Totally smart, but alas, human creativeness and inventiveness helps them stand just a bit taller than the other races except the {Dragons} and {Demons}.

More from the book, the [Demon Lord] is given full power every ͵αφ years, and they have to summon heroes because they themselves are weak. What's worse is when the heroes are done, they are pursued as the true demons all along.

What is wrong with the logic of this world? No wonder they have demons trying to hide when they are considered a neutral party.

Anyway, only pure virgins could be sisters, which in turn could be corrupted by the priest. If I wasn't so weak, I would destroy the country in an instant, there are too many reasons to count.

Back to my senses, "Can you help us?" Eliza asked a sister praying towards the statue.

She looked up and turned towards us. "What do you need?" she asked in a clear and bewitching feminine voice. Her clothes were those of white color, made of towel-like material. Her cleavage was bigger than average, I must defend this place from Harold later. I cleared my voice, "Can you teach me [Light] magic?" I asked her.

She looked at me, "Anotherworlder perhaps. It's not easy, but you need to be compatible with it." she said before getting up.

She looks up slightly to match my eyes. "Can you focus your mana into an orb? Hold it right in front of you, right here." She pointed at my heart.

I closed my eyes and focused on where it would be.

I calmed and searched, looking for what mana could be. I loosened and let small energy escape me.

I slipped it into my left hand and brought it to my chest.

"Yes, like that," she said as I took a breath.

I felt the mana. It wiggled like a long worm, trying desperately to escape and dissipate into the sky. I grew weaker as I forced it still.

After a long minute or two, I had forced the mana into a sphere big enough that the sister could check it.

"I feel it has some, maybe enough to use," she said as she scanned my mana with hers.

She then grabbed a small knife from her pocket and stabbed my left hand, with it. The sharp, sudden pain made me scream and writhe, "Heal the wound." she said calmly.

'What the fuck happened? My hand!' I thought to myself as I saw my blood ooze from the wound. I learned that day, don't help healers.

I tried to bring mana to my hand and close the wound. It instead was enveloped in darkness and healed, with a small scar.

"Very interesting," she said as she noted my experience. She then pricked her finger and enveloped it with light and it healed.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST PRICK MY FINGER OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT?" I yelled at her. "Well that is how Ms. Priestess taught me to use magic," she said calmly. I was furious with the sister, but she looked at me sadly. Why must I have such a weakness?

"You could have just warned me." I sputtered.

"Don't be sad, Sister, it was me blowing off some long-stored steam," I reassured her.

She smiled at me, "I see.".

I had to smile back, even though I didn't want to.

"If you need anything, I am always here to help," she said as Eliza and I were leaving.

We headed back into the castle to report to the king.

Sometime later, we reached the throne room again, this time from a side door. We entered and saw the King was waiting for us.

"How was the day?" he asked me. "Nothing much," I responded.

"I see, how did the lesson go?" he asked me. "I learned nothing I just went with what I felt," I responded simply.

"Well how about the church?" the King asked."Can't use that type of magic to heal." I said. "What can you use?" he asked me. "Darkness," I responded cheerfully.

His face changed the moment I told him. "That is great." he forced out.

"Well, we need to raise your level. You are not very strong as you are now, especially as a hero. In a few days' time, I will make you head into the forest with a group to hunt for a {Copper Boar}, it should raise your level quite a bit, I will tell them to give you the last hit." he explained before sending me off to bed.