Chapter 22: Atop A Mountain

Guys, check out my dude Ryokuzan,
he's great.
————————————————————————————————————————————————

The following morning, after gathering our belongings and saying our goodbyes, mostly Deliva, we skipped town to head to the lone standing mountain.

Getting there quickly wasn't a problem, I had struck a deal with a merchant to get some nice horses. They weren't the fastest, but they were good nonetheless.

Anyway, we rode our way to the end of the cobblestone path leading close to the mountain and headed into grassy plains.

As we trampled on the tall grass for hours on end, the horses gradually slowed down by a tiny margin every once in a while, until the slowed to a fast walking pace.

"We should let the horses rest a bit here." I looked up to the midday sun. It looked as odd as when I first saw it, but I was getting used to it.

"Okay captain." Deliva said as we got off our horses and we began setting up a temporary small campfire.

We cut some tall grass with Aaron, in some sick combos, may I add, linked together very well.

I positioned some rocks in a circle and threw the cut grass in there. I took out some sticks from my magical backpack and threw them in the rock circle.

"[Blaze]" I pointed Aaron at the pile of firewood. Instead of being nice and controlled as I wanted it to be, a pillar of fire arose from sticks, with the force to even nock me over.

"I should find a way to limit my power." I whispered to myself before I picked myself back up again and dusted off the dirt and grass.

··········

After 2 hours of resting and having a great lunch prepared by me, in the hot sun, we continued our journey at a really fast pase, but not fast enough. The sun was going to set before we even arrived to the base of the mountain.

After a few minutes of contemplating if I should do something to the horses to make them go faster, I quickly dropped the idea as I remembered how far a certain animal rights group would go in my old world. In the end, we arrived at the mountain at dark and we had to camp out.

.........

The tall grass rustled in front of a small cave entrance, where two drunk guards were busy drinking. In a single moment, both guards fell dead silently in their own blood.

A black cloaked figure entered the cave with a menacing aura, as silently as could be, as it left no footprints behind.

It quickly killed all members of the cave, and quietly gave it's mercy to the bodies at a wall, covered in a cloudy liquid. In pain, it chose not to mess with the balance of life and death at this moment, as it would bring them more pain.

It approached the final, deepest room in the cave, separated by wood and had a proper door. It looked through the keyhole to find a snoring man, sleeping without a care in the world.

After lock picking the door with a new ability, it masked the creaking with a sound barrier, it's own creation.

The cloaked figure approached the sleeping man, and extended a boney finger to cut his cheek.

The sleeping man immediately sat up and put his hand to a dagger at his belt, but as he looked up, he froze completely.

For what stood over him was a skeleton, holding a weapon he had never seen before. His own fear of the unknown keeping him from doing anything stupid.