Chapter 27: A New Base

I kinda meant to write this at the first anniversary of this book, but uhh - it's been 11 months since then. I'm quite sorry there's been such a long wait.
————————————————————————————————————————————————

"Care to dance?" the robed man said as shadows were forming from the ceiling and floor. They dropped with heavy thuds, each with distinct, humanly features, sharp claws, and a speed rivaling black marlins.

Even though we were outnumbered and they were encircling us, they kept a good distance away. "They are not much to you, but they are the best we have Shadow Knight." The robed man spoke slowly as he lifted his left hand. 

"Night as dark as the void, perfect in every which way, become my mirror, sword, and shield and fight by my side. A flawless knight protects its king until the final blood is shed. [Summon: Nightly Knight](I'm a genius)." he took his time as he chanted, which I gave him. 

All the Shadows consolidated into a single point, becoming bigger until it could barely fit in the hallway.

We just stood there, watching the whole thing unfold. The Knight was engulfed in tall, dark flames with the sound of metal being forged ringing in the air. 

The flames died down as quickly as they started. In its place stood a gleaming full plate of black armor. There was, from the faceplate, two shiny, red, oval eyes that stared back at me.

This was when I finally decided to say something. "Erm, I think you have the wrong person. As you can see, I'm wearing a cloak." I pointed out.

At first, it was a small laugh but it grew uncontrollably until he wheezed. He tried to calm himself down as much as he could after that.

"Explain the sword, the dragon, and the shadow radiance you emit," he asked in a superior tone once he was able to talk.

"Yeah, I can't explain that." I drew Aaron from my back slowly with a wide smile. 

The man snapped his fingers and the knight drew his sword. The knight's was similar to Aaron, except black with a fallen angel wing cross guard rather than Aaron's bland regular one.

"Kani, is there anything you can tell me about shadows before I destroy them?" I stretched a little. "My dad mentioned them once but I do not know anything about them." she jumped off my head and flew in place above me. "Oh well." I held Aaron in front of me.

I dashed toward the knight, who responded similarly. Our swords sparked as we pushed against each other. I hopped back and its sword crashed to the ground.

Even though it was a perfect opportunity attack, I let it rise its sword to swing at me once more. This time it was a horizontal slash, which I backflipped out of, but the move did not stop. The knight used the missed attack to use the sword's momentum to spin around for a second attack. This one I parried with ease, "Cool, but not good enough." I said.

Taking the moment, I took Aaron and stabbed him into his gut like a spear. Well, that was the plan, if they didn't just clink like teacups and bounce off each other.

"Ha, do you not know how to fight a [Shade]? And to think you are to be a hero." the robed man laughed. 

"Heh, are you challenging me?" Aaron began to glow. My smile grew to an unprecedented amount.

"Kani, enchant me," I ordered. "Alright," she mumbled the spell for about 15 seconds. I felt a slight growth in power and speed.

I began with smaller cuts, the knight blocked them accordingly. I went faster, and faster, and faster, and faster. My hands moved in unrecognizable blurbs, and the knight was having difficulty in keeping up. I kept hitting his armor, but sometimes he blocked with his blade successfully.