Chapter 16: Meanwhile

The wind eeriely howled on the bloody winter plains. The blood of fallen soldiers and demons alike mingled and stained the pure white snow. Some died quick while other's were mutilated until they were unrecognizable.

The groans and screams of the wounded and dying rang in my ears. The cackle of the demons as they hacked at the remaining standing knights and soldiers and those of them confirming their kill.

I hadn't slept in days and zoning out was the closest to sleep you could get. The only rest you could get here was eternal, but I didn't want that. 

The situation of war was very dire, even I don't remember why I chose to fight. It's hazy, but I can still remember the day they begged of us to fight.

......

2 weeks ago-

I am Lavaner Jatin, a [Legendary Pyromancer]. I had always been attracted to flames and I thought they were the coolest. I was an expert at wielding it.

When we got summoned, I was confused at first but as I played a lot of video games, I quickly calmed down. I saw it all as a quest, and it was just like one.

When they told us of stats and classes, I was excited about it. When my turn came at the <Status Orb> and I was overjoyed at my class and abilities.

Eventually the entire class passed by but I felt really bad about the last one, Cason. I had thought he was pretty cool, of course he didn't do much but that was okay.

So from that day I never saw him again, but I went on to train really hard. Only 4 out of the 27 of us had the [Legendary] prefix in our class. It was [Swordsman], [Mage], [Priestess], and of course, don't forget mine, [Pyromancer].

Training was really hard on me, as I was sent to the prodigy flame master mage, Durealus Murlana. He was a great mentor, so kind yet harsh.

Eventually one dinner evening, the Swordsman and the Shield Bearer were flirting like normal. The Mage was silently talking to herself and the Priestess was zoning out.

A sudden knock on the large wooden doors made me jump in my seat. "Let them in." the king told one of the guardsmen standing by the door. He opened the door slowly.

There stood a lone man, out of breath and face pale. He had a sharp face, dark brown hair, and a terrified look on his face. His uniform was ragged and torn, stained with blood. He had a general's uniform, so I was right to guess he was about to say something important.

He knelt down at the door. "Your majesty, we need to send the heroes now. The troops are currently being over run and we are losing the war. They have sent much more demons than normal, they even took your son and my brother..." he stopped reporting.

The king rose up from his seat as fast as one person could possibly get up. "We have no time to waste then. Guards, prepare the carriages as fast as you can. Call the other heroes, we will go now." he said. I understood the pain of the king, losing a heir is hard.

We were lead outside to white clothed carriages, a quite amount of them. "Each Legendary prefix heroes get a carriage all for themselves. If they want to share, then they may." one of the coachmen said on top of the swordsman's one.

We entered the carriages and was appraised. I was now Lv 44, but somehow the swordsman was Lv 168. He must have had extreme training.

After a few days of carriage riding, we reached the battle front. The priestess was immediately put to work healing the wounded. I was nauseous with the metallic smell of blood and the smell of death in the air.

A different General called me out to a tactic tent. "I need you to burn the corpses that didn't survive even with the healers, just that for today." he said as he waved me out of the tent.

I eventually reached the place where the army put the dead. I tried my best not to vomit, from the smell and the view in front my eyes.

Rotting corpses of soldiers were piled in medium sized piles. Smoke was constantly rising from ash stacks as the other fire mages worked hard. I immediately chanted some flame spells as I tried not to stutter. I worked for 4 hours until all the bodies were burned.

That night was no better for me, it was all a nightmare.

..........

"-Flying ways of fire,[Flamethrower]!" I chanted against a regeneration demon. They're pesky fellows that can be killed with fire the easiest. The demon let out a blood curtailing scream as it was burnt to a crisp.

I was still not used to the bloodshed of this war. Even though I've only been fighting for about a week and a half, I had run into so many near death experiences.

"-And shoot, [Fireball]" I sluggishly said, I was getting lower and lower in mana. The fireball hit a demon another mage was already fighting, it killed it. The mage also looked out of breath so I gave him a mana potion and drank one myself. 

"Thanks" he said as he returned back to the battle. Small talk out here was basically non-existent, it was only talk  to inform solders of the hordes of demons to come. Death was knocking on everyone's door so there was little time for talk and getting to know your soldiers.

The final demon of the wave fell to the Swordsman's sword, giving us about an hour of breathing time. The healers were dispatched by the large to heal the wounded and collect the dead.

I sighed as the Priestess managed to find me. "Lavaner! Thank god you're still alive!" she gave me a warm smile.

"Well Priestess, nice to see you too." I said as I set fire to the closest human corpse. Demon corpses were being collected to make demon armour and feeding us. I have grown used to eating it, although rumours say the Swordsman only accepts actual food and he gets it.

"How was battle today?" the Priestess said as she healed my minor wounds. "It's alright..." I said as I starred deep into the cloudy day sky. It looked like a snow storm was approaching.

"I'm done here, take good care." she said with her trademark fluffy smile that tugged at my heart. I remember now, I was fighting for this, wasn't I?

I wanted to take a break from fighting and take a nap today, but for that I need to go back to camp. I found some other soldiers that were about to go because of business they had to do.

I moved on to main camp with some other soldiers. A younger hero approached us while looking down at the bloody snow. His black hair were in the way of his hazel eyes when he looked up.  "Uhh sirs, may I accompany you all to camp?" a loner hero said, as he twiddled with his thumbs.

"Aren't you the hero [Hex Master]?" I pointed out and he jumped back. "Y-you know of m-me?" he said, beaming with admiration. "Uhh anyway, you can join us to camp." I said before I pulled that pin any farther.

He kept asking me questions until we reached camp and he stood guard as I entered the General's tent. "I've come back, I'm taking a rest today." I said while looking him in the eyes.

"We need you in the battle field, there is no escape from battle, even if you like it or not." the General said simply. "I'm just taking a nap to take care of my tiredness." I said as I began to walk out.

He just sighed as I went outside and bumped into the Hex Master. "I'm sorry, Mr. Legendary Pyromancer!" he said with panic in his voice. "It's alright, I'll be heading back to battle after I take a nap." I told him as I walked to my tent in camp.

"I'll guard you, sir!" he beamed as I entered it. "Thank you." I smiled as I laid down on a rough blanket and closed my eyes.

........

Where was I? 'Hey, You'll be needed, I need you to be ready for a massive change to how this war will work. Don't panic, I am just a god following an author's orders, so I have to do this, do you understand?' a voice ringed though the darkness of my asleep mind.

"I think I do, but what do you mean change? An author? I don't understand there." I called out into the darkness in my mind. 'I can't explain that, it's too hard for you to understand. All I need you to do is don't panic when times change, you'll be important this time.' the voice said before I felt it's presence leaving, leaving me to rule the dreamworld.