Chapter 4

It was almost dark when we returned to our dorm. The lights in the windows twinkled like a merry Christmas tree.

"I'm going down to the cafeteria to grab some dinner." I told Dani, as I threw all my shopping bags on my bed.

"You're hungry again?" She teased me. "You've heard of the freshman fifteen, right? They say every freshman gains at least fifteen pounds their first year of college."

I scowled at her. "I have good metabolism."

"Did you have a boyfriend back home?" She pulled her new dress out of the bag and hung it up in the closet.

I shook my head. "Nope. Never had one. I mean, I've gone on a few dates, but never had anything serious."

She stopped and stared at me. "Shut up! How is that possible? You're so pretty."

I rolled my eyes as I grabbed my purse. This coming from Exotic Barbie. "Not nearly as pretty as you and your friends. Seriously, what's in the water here? Everyone I met today looks like they just did a photo shoot for Vogue."

"Oh, shut up!" Dani crossed her eyes and stuck her tongue out at me. She couldn't look ugly even when she tried.

I headed out the door, towards the cafeteria. It was dinner time and the student union was packed. I got in the long winding line for a Subway sandwich and pulled out my phone. I was in the middle of a massive game of Candy Crush. Half way through my next level, I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I looked around, searching for the source of the mental disturbance.

I scanned the groups of people. I recognized a few of the guys from the diner and some girls from my dorm, but none of them were looking at me. "You're holding up the line," an annoyed voice sounded behind me. I whirled around and came face to face with Dustin.

I cringed. "Sorry," I mumbled and moved forward.

"If you're smart, you'll remember that not paying attention can get you into trouble here."

I whirled on him, my eyes flashing with anger. "What's your problem? Ever since you met me you've been nothing but rude. I didn't do anything to you."

He raised his eyebrows. "You're young and foolish. You proved it last night. Having you around is a liability, and I don't want my sister getting hurt because you don't know how to stay out of trouble."

"You don't know me," I fired back. "I can take care of myself." I felt the itching in my palms that I got whenever one of my brothers pissed me off. Usually I followed it up with a smack upside their head, but something told me Dustin wouldn't take that very well.

"Yah, you sure took care of yourself last night. You were ready to go off with Daemon and you don't even know him. He could've hurt you. He would have hurt you." Dustin was close to my face. "If you're going to make it around here, you need to stop trusting people. You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. Wake up!" With that, he spun on his heel and stalked away, not bothering to order a sandwich.

I glared after him, thinking maybe I really should have hit him. Then he would have seen that I could take care of myself.

"Ma'am?" I turned back to the boy at the Subway counter. "Can I help you?" I ordered a sandwich and stalked back to my dorm.

The door to my room was ajar when I got back to the dorms and I could hear shouting from inside. "I've told you before. This is not a good idea." I recognized Dustin's voice. "You never listen to me. Remember what happened with Alicia! This is exactly how it started with her and look what happened. It's too dangerous."