Chapter 32

Savannah and I continued to work on my training every day.  She had lesson plans each morning, and we worked for hours at a time, pushing my mental abilities to their limits.  Each night I called Dustin, praying that he would answer, but for a week straight, there was no word.

I checked in with my parents periodically, hoping they wouldn't notice the depression seeping into every word I uttered.  They rattled on and on about their plans for the upcoming holiday season, making me more determined than ever to get a handle on my "issues".  I wanted to go home and feel the warmth and dependability of my family.  Now more than ever, I was missing what had always kept me going when times get tough, my loved ones.

"How are you feeling this morning?"  Savannah was at the dining room table, a huge plate piled high with breakfast delicacies.

"A little tired, but otherwise, okay."  I sat down and began filling my plate.  "What's on the agenda for today?"  I noticed that Kaitlyn wasn't at the table.

"I figured we could start working on your telekinesis control, if you feel up to it."

I nodded.  "I'm fine.  I just want to get as much training in as possible, so I can get back to my regular life."  I knew Savannah could feel my angry disposition.

"Katie, you have to be calm during this section of your training.  Telekinesis can be very dangerous in the hands of someone who is emotionally compromised, as you have already experienced.  Maybe we should do something different today."

"No."  I argued.  "I really need to get that under control.  I have done a lot of damage because I can't control it, and it seems to be tied to my emotions, no matter what.  I can calm myself enough to work through it, I promise."

She studied me a moment, and then replied, "We will see how it goes, but if I feel like you are too emotional to continue, I will stop the lesson."

I finished my bagel.  "Fair enough.  Where will we be working?  Somewhere without a lot of glass, I hope." I replied, referring to the total destruction of my room the night Dustin had left.

She caught my sarcasm.  "I've planned for us to work in one of the empty rooms in the west wing.  Of course, there are windows, but the furnishings are minimal, and we can introduce small objects for you to work with, and increase them depending on how well you do."

"Alright.  When should we start?"

"Right now, if you are ready."  She pushed her chair back and stood up.

"Where's Kaitlyn?"  I followed Savannah up the stairs.

"She had some things to take care of."  She didn't elaborate.

The room Savannah had chosen was indeed empty.  She had placed two chairs in the middle of the room, surrounding a small card table.  On the card table was a soccer ball.  I looked at her, confused.

She smiled when she caught my expression.  "It's not made of glass."

"Touché.'"  I replied, as I sat in one of the chairs.

I gave myself a mental pep talk.  No more messing around.  If I was going to finish my training, I was going to have to man up and focus. I cringed as I thought of all of Savannah's property that I had already ruined.  Maybe I could get a credit card...

"Okay," She began.  "We are going to work on controlling your telekinetic abilities today.  We know that you're currently emotionally triggered, and we need to stabilize that, so you don't do any harm to yourself or anyone else."

"I know.  I can't apologize enough for all the damage I have done to your home since I got here.  Someday, I hope I get the chance to make it up to you."