Chapter 19

The wind was raging, and leaves were flying everywhere. I watched as people began to huddle in doorways, waiting for it to be safe to move between buildings. I steadied myself against the wind and pushed forwards towards my dorm. As the wind tried to move me, I felt a warm spot where my necklace lay, and a surge of energy propelled me easily through the quad. As I reached the double doors to my building, a torrential downpour opened up over the campus and rain began to pound the pavement.

I rushed to my room, just in time to see Dustin closing the door behind him. "Katie, I was just coming to look for you." He grabbed me and pulled me close. "I just spoke to Brian. I think we need to talk."

He opened the door and led me back inside. "Why didn't you tell me what was going on?"

I sighed and sat on the bed. "Because I didn't want to worry you. And I didn't really know what was happening. I wanted to ask Brian first, so I would know whether it was worth bothering you with, or if it was just another harmless side effect of the Link."

"Brian seems spooked, so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it must be something important for him to be coming all the way back here from Connecticut. His flight leaves in an hour."

Oddly enough, knowing Brian was on his way made me feel calmer. "What exactly did he tell you?"

"He said you were experiencing things that he wasn't familiar with. Something about Auras. He told me to stay close to you and not to trust anyone we don't know. Do you want to tell me about these Auras?"

I let my head fall back on my pillow. "Well, when I see someone who is "supernatural", as you guys call it, there's a strange colored glow around them. The color corresponds to whatever they are."

He looked confused. "Give me an example."

"Okay, you and Dani, for instance. You guys are ringed in a green glow."

"I'm glowing green?" He sounded a bit unnerved.

"Not always. I haven't figured out the timing. Sometimes I see it and sometimes I don't." I felt frustration creeping back in.

"What other colors have you seen?" He moved to the bed and crawled up next to me.

I put my head on his shoulder and sighed. "Remember the girl from Art History who loaned me her notes? Mia? She glows yellow. Brian says she's a werecat. And your friend Victoria? She glows rainbows."

"Rainbows?" He looked at me, disbelieving. "Are you seeing unicorns too?"

I glared up at him. "It's not funny. Do you have any idea how freaky it is to see what I've been seeing?" I considered smacking him in the chest for his insensitivity.

"I'm sorry." He looked ashamed. "Poorly timed joke. Go on."

"Anyway, Victoria has multiple colors surrounding her and Brian said it's probably because she's a shape shifter and her energy is always changing, or something like that."

He frowned. "So, the other day when we were at the coffee shop, you were seeing colors around her? Is that why you almost squeezed my hand off?"

I nodded. "It unnerves me every time it happens."

"Anything else?"

"Yah, one more thing. That teacher from my English class. She glows bright white and casts spells on people."

His brows shot up. "She's a Magic Caster?"

"That's what Brian said. He told me to stay away from her. He thinks she may have been casting some kind of spell on the class and he's not sure if she's dangerous."