Chapter 28

Savannah was waiting for us in the dining room.  "Good morning!"  Her small teenaged body was glowing like fresh white snow.  "Hungry?"  She waved her hand towards the full table. 

                "Who cooks all this?"  I asked, as I sat down in front of a huge platter of pancakes.

                "I have a staff that works behind the scenes to create all the wonderful meals we enjoy."  She poured milk into her coffee cup.  "They travel with me where ever I go, cooking and cleaning, and maintaining upkeep on the houses.  I would be positively lost without them."

                I glanced at Dustin, but he was busy filling his plate with an array of pancakes, eggs, bacon and toast.

                "Eat up, Katie."  Savannah urged me.  "You will need all your energy today."  She poured syrup on her huge stack of pancakes.

                I felt a lump form in my throat.  Why was I so nervous?  My stomach started rolling over itself, as I tried to focus on breakfast.

                Dustin looked up sharply and met my eyes.  "Are you okay?"  His voice weaved into my mind.

                I nodded, and tried to calm my racing heart.  "Just a little nervous about today." It was like the first day at a new school.  I had no idea what to expect. 

He reached over and squeezed my hand reassuringly.  "I'll be right next to you, the whole way."

I forced myself to take a bite of my eggs, as Savannah watched me intently.  I knew she could hear our mental conversation, but she didn't let on.  "I had Kaitlyn pick you up some new clothes from town."  She looked over at me. 

"I have my own clothes."  I replied, more petulantly than I intended.

"I know, but this way, you won't be hindered by the past memories that may be linked to the items you have already worn.  It's just a precaution."  She said, simply.

"Okay, I understand."  I relented, pushing my plate away. Couldn't even wear my own clothes?  Sounded like the first day of a new reform school.

"I put them on your bed.  If you are ready, why don't you go put them on and we will get started."  Savannah finished her coffee and stood up.  "I'll meet you in the library."

                Dustin rose to follow me.

                "Dustin, I'm going to work with Katie alone for the first few days.  I need her complete attention and having you there will be a distraction."

                I shot him an uncomfortable look, but he smiled reassuringly.  "No problem.  I'll be in the Post-Modernist room if you need me."  He hugged me and headed towards the stairs. 

                I sighed and followed him up the stairs, towards my room.  Kaitlyn had bought me three pairs of black yoga pants and three plain white t shirts.  I was glad that I was at least able to wear my own underwear. That was where I would have had to draw the line.

                I changed and headed down to meet Savannah in the library.  She was sitting in a big arm chair, thumbing through a book.  She glanced up when I entered the room and smiled.  "Katie, sit down for a minute.  I think we should talk before we get started."

                I sat in the chair opposite her and crossed my legs in front of me.

                She put her book down and leaned forward.  "I know you are nervous and I don't blame you.  But if this is going to work, I need you to trust me.  So, let's take a few minutes and get some of your fears out on the table."